Author Topic: What is the risk of CSF leak in a translab surgery? Any advice on prevention?  (Read 3422 times)

Autumnbird

Hello! I am due to have a translab in November. What is the risk of having CSF leaks after translab surgery? Are there precautions one can take to prevent CSF leaks? Thanks
47 yr female
Progressive hearing loss, tinnitus since 2017
AN diagnosis left ear September 2021
1.5 cm width x 2.5 cm length
Translab November 2021
@ Univ of Iowa (Dr Marlan Hansen)
SSD, facial nerve preserved
Recovery slow but steady

Greece Lover

Hi, Autumnbird,
Sorry if you're sick of me responding to all your posts! What day is your surgery? (I'll try to remember to pray for you if that's OK.)

I don't know that there's a big change in risk factors of CSF leak among the different approaches.  (The risk may be higher for retro-sig, although I'm not sure).  There is definitely NOTHING you can do to prevent it.  I think it's pretty rare, and usually results from some small leak from the IAC, or else maybe a small accidental nick to the dura around the brain during surgery.  Even if you're unlucky and get this, my understanding is it usually corrects itself one its own. Might mean a couple extra days in the hospital. They will definitely check you for it a couple times before you are discharged. 

Good luck!
Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.

Autumnbird

Thank you so much Greece Lover for responding!! My heartfelt gratitude to you for taking the time to read and reply my questions! My surgery is on November 8. Thank you for keeping me in your thoughts and prayers!! I am nervous as you can imagine…I try to push it out of my mind but it’s hard…it’s a lot of information all at once after the diagnosis  but this forum has been immensely helpful.
47 yr female
Progressive hearing loss, tinnitus since 2017
AN diagnosis left ear September 2021
1.5 cm width x 2.5 cm length
Translab November 2021
@ Univ of Iowa (Dr Marlan Hansen)
SSD, facial nerve preserved
Recovery slow but steady