Author Topic: Bye bye bye!  (Read 2425 times)

alschneid

Bye bye bye!
« on: July 14, 2021, 11:14:24 am »
Just had middle fossa surgery on 7/8 to remove a 1cm AN that I was diagnosed with in March. I was terrified but so glad it’s over. My surgeons Dr. Wiet and Dr. Byrne at Rush both assured me that the tumor is 100% gone. I have some muffled hearing in my affected ear which may be due to swelling and fluids still but I’m hoping hearing will go back to normal. Only some slight headaches. Just started outpatient PT today to work on balance and gait. I was able to walk laps in the hallway and do 12 stairs just 3 days post op! I’m sure there’s still a long road of recovery ahead of me but I’m so glad I got it done and hopefully never have to worry about it coming back. God bless the medical team I had at Rush. They really are unbelievable at what they do.

Greece Lover

Re: Bye bye bye!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2021, 02:30:09 pm »
Congrats! I was similar: 1.2 CM tumor.  So glad you're recovering well. Listen to your body.  I got hit with a lot of fatigue after about a week or so, which my doc had warned me about.  The progress is not linear, but it's progress. 

It is a great feeling to know it's out and you can get on with your life!
Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.

alschneid

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2021, 11:47:51 am »
Thank you! I’m continuing to see progress everyday which is great. Unfortunately I think my hearing is gone. My doctor said some of it could come back but I’m not sure. I had slight sensorineural hearing loss prior to surgery but nothing I would ever notice. Looking at the notes from surgery, it looks like the ABR tests showed absent waves from the right side during surgery, so I feel like that means it’s gone. I’m also experiencing constant ringing tinnitus which used to be pulsatile tinnitus. He said they will do a hearing test in 6 weeks once everything has had time to heal. Just wondering if there’s a chance some of it will come back or if it’s gone :(

Did anyone else have “temporary” hearing loss post op or hearing that was completely lost?

Greece Lover

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2021, 03:54:44 pm »
Sorry to hear about your hearing. I've heard that it can recover, but maybe not likely? hang in there.
Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.