Author Topic: Two weeks out  (Read 2224 times)

hollykeegan

Two weeks out
« on: July 12, 2021, 09:06:29 am »
Hi all-

I'm two weeks out from surgery and it's all beginning to feel "real." I'm wondering if there is one piece of advice you wish you'd known before your surgery. It could be anything big or small. Preparation calms my anxiety and I just want to do all I can, or at least all I'm in control of anyway, before I go in.

I appreciate your input as fellow AN warriors. Thanks so much.

-Holly

MarlaB

• Administrator
Re: Two weeks out
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2021, 11:17:12 am »
Hello Holly!

I had a little more than two weeks to plan, but you still have more than enough time to get into the right headspace.... Prep as many meals as you can that are easy to make for you and/or people you live with, move anything down low to about 2-3 feet (I moved my socks from the bottom drawer to the upper drawer...) if friends offer to help you LET THEM!! Even an hour a day to not be alone in your house when others are at work/school will give you comfort. And hydrate!! Eat well!! Walk walk walk.

Trust that you have made the right choice, right treatment and team, and then breathe...

Good luck, see you on the other side!!

Marla

hollykeegan

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2021, 11:27:34 am »
Thank you, Maria.

Moving socks up-- seriously that's a great suggestion! Ha! Mine are in the bottom drawer and I just wouldn't have thought of that. All of your suggestions are helpful, and I appreciate you taking the time to share them.

Working on breathing; the closer it gets the harder that feels and the more intentional I must be.

thanks again.

lryan42

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 01:00:06 pm »
Hi all-

I'm two weeks out from surgery and it's all beginning to feel "real." I'm wondering if there is one piece of advice you wish you'd known before your surgery. It could be anything big or small. Preparation calms my anxiety and I just want to do all I can, or at least all I'm in control of anyway, before I go in.

I appreciate your input as fellow AN warriors. Thanks so much.

-Holly

I haven't had surgery yet but just wanted to drop a note to wish you all the best.  It's important to understand those things we can control and those we can't and give up trying to fight with the things which are out of our hands.  Good luck with taking this next step and may your recovery be speedy and complete!
2017 - Mild vestibular symptoms. misdiagnosed. Normal hearing.
2018 - MRI w/o contrast: ambiguous. Normal hearing.
2019 - MRI /w contrast: 5mm x 4mm x 3mm AN.  Moderate hearing loss.
2020 - Completely SSD.
2022 - 6x4x4 mm with 3mm extension into cochlea and semicircular canals.  Surgery UCSD + CI.

alschneid

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2021, 05:11:44 pm »
Hi! I’m about a week and a half post op and I’m feeling better each and every day if that gives you comfort. I was so nervous the morning of surgery but trust the process, your decision, and most importantly the team of doctors. I agree that it’s important to try and prep some things for home, but it’s also been important for me to remember that it’s OK to accept help. I didn’t think I would want any visitors or people coming to help out but it’s honestly been so helpful. It’s comforting to have company and help when you need it. Best of luck to you! Soon this will be over and you’ll be on your road to recovery.

golfguy49

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2021, 09:17:39 am »
The day before my surgery I freaked a bit, but I never told anyone or showed much emotion.  Kept it inside.  My doctor was so confident that it calmed me.  The hospital took amazing care of me.  One piece of advice might be to ask if the anesthesiologist can give you the calming medicine as soon as possible after you arrive in the pre-surgery room.  It was very helpful and is just a mild sedative to keep people calm before they roll them down the hall.  In the end, I am 18 months past my surgery and life is pretty good (though I woke up and entered some strange covid world that has been surreal).  The actual event itself was a little traumatic, but these doctors have a lot of experience with these things now.  Best of luck and I'll say a prayer as well.
March 2018: 10 x 5 x 5 mm AN diagnosed April 2018.  October 2018: 12 x 5 x 5 mm.  Considering surgery in early 2019.
October 2019: 14 x 5 x 5mm.  Surgery scheduled for late Jan 2020.
January 2020:  Surgery at NW Hospital in Chicago area done by Drs. Fishman and Brayton

Greece Lover

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2021, 07:35:52 am »
One thing I wasn't prepared for is the mental health side of recovery.  my surgery went well, and the physical recovery is tough but do-able.  But I also had a lot of anxiety afterwards, in a way that was different than before the surgery.  I think you come out  of the surgery, you're on a lot of medications, and I could do all the things I did before to make myself feel good (cook, bike ride, walk, etc.).  It gets better, of course, but I wasn't prepared for that. 

good luck!
Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.