Author Topic: Post AN Surgery Hearing Loss & Options  (Read 4836 times)

omo7530

Post AN Surgery Hearing Loss & Options
« on: June 07, 2021, 02:00:10 pm »
Hello!

I had my AN surgery on 3/8 constructed behind my right ear. While they said hearing waves came through till the very end of the surgery, the ENT was skeptical as the tumor was positioned in a far more complex spot than they had originally thought. He wasn't confident that I would have hearing in my right ear post surgery. I finally had my hearing test follow up and I have about 5-10% hearing left in my right ear. My options are the cochlear implant (which he said that he wouldn't recommend), a BAHA and a CROS hearing device. Or, I could go on without any aid. It doesn't bother me too much not having a ton of hearing in my right ear and sometimes I feel like it doesn't affect my abilities at all. It almost feels like I have water stuck in my ear.

After doing some research, I am wondering if anyone has used plain ol' hearing aids purchased via amazon or another site? Is a CROS device 100% necessary or would a hearing aid work well also? The ENT recommended the BAHA but I am not keen on going through another surgery and lengthy recovery time.

All thoughts/concerns on the CROS vs. hearing aid welcome!

Thank you!

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
Re: Post AN Surgery Hearing Loss & Options
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 08:04:51 pm »
You have several choices. Number 1, live with the hearing you have left and evaluate how it impacts your life. If you are happy, then do nothing.

Number 2, an audiologist needs to test your hearing and they can guide to to a cross or BAHA. They fit different types of hearing loss.

A BAHA surgery is an out patient surgery and it is not a major surgery. You can watch a BAHA surgery on YouTube.

I have a BAHA on my right ear and I wear a Resound hearing aid in my left ear. My good ear is going south because I have developed an AN on my left ear. You might be totally satisfied with a hearing aid. A lot of days I never use my BAHA. I cannot wear a hat with my BAHA so my hearing aid is my best friend.

Again, you have several choices, but let your audiologist guide you. They know more about hearing technology than the ENT does.

Cheryl R

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2021, 10:42:15 pm »
If you meant a surgery and lengthy recovery about the BAHA,Then you hadn't been told of it being a same day surgery and keeping the implanted screw clean as the recovery.
 There have been many who have it and are very glad to have one.                      Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

alschneid

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2021, 05:54:08 pm »
Hi, just wanted to follow up to see if you made a decision on getting a hearing aid? I had surgery about 2 weeks ago and I’m afraid I’ve lost my hearing in my right ear. Did you know you lost yours right away? I’m also experiencing constant tinnitus, which used to just be pulsatile tinnitus prior to surgery but now it’s a ringing noise. I have my post op with the ENT this week but I’m just trying to prepare myself.

gary.s

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2021, 07:04:15 pm »
A regular hearing aid will not do anything for your almost completely deaf AN ear. My right ear is about 95% deaf. I have a Phonak Cros that has made a big difference in my life. It is essentially a microphone that transfers sound to the hearing aid in my good ear. I am still unable to locate the direction a sound is coming from, even when wearing the Phonak Cros. These hearing aids are an alternative, although expensive. Best of luck

Gary
Mild symptoms on right side July 2014
CK April 16-20, 2018, Barrow Neurological Institute
9/2018 hearing aid Phonak Audeo B and Cros B

omo7530

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2021, 09:56:19 am »
Thanks, all!

I've made an appointment to look into getting a BICROS aid. I have about 5-10% hearing left in my right ear after the surgery. I can hear the tv and general noises (fans, the shower running, etc), but cannot hear anything when I have a headphone in my right ear. Having little hearing in that ear doesn't bother me that much unless I am in a loud setting which is often (restaurants). I am hoping that the BICROS will help greatly as it seems like it has with those who have similar situations.