Author Topic: Are repeated MRIs with contrast (dye) harmful?  (Read 1616 times)

PBFight4SB

Are repeated MRIs with contrast (dye) harmful?
« on: May 10, 2021, 03:11:26 pm »
All,

My son, who is NF2 has to undergo several MRIs frequently. We discovered this last year and he has had 5 MRIs in last 10 months and all with contrast.

I recently heard that Gadolinium which is part of GBCA is a metal and gets accumulated in brain and elsewhere and is proving harmful.

Any comments?

mwatto

Re: Are repeated MRIs with contrast (dye) harmful?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 06:47:24 pm »
I asked my provider the same question was told macrocyclic its unlikely and as he is young his kidneys should filter out. I drink water before and after and I check my kidneys before. I have some info from here in Australia so its the type of contrast used worth checking. How do we attach? I have a PDF on this from the provider re safety info. darn I wish I knew how to attach the PDF!!!
Michele
20 x19x14mm Cystic AN diagnosed Feb 2019. CK.
Mri 2019 shrinking: 18x17x13 mm.
Mri 2020 - no cysts visible stable.
MRI 2021 stable no change
MRI 2022 stable no change.
MRI 2023 Further reduction 12x12x10mm!! Hearing 85%
MRI 2024: No change AN or hearing

SP

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2021, 04:02:12 am »
I had the discussion with my Neurosurgeon a few years ago when the below advice came out from the TGA (Therapeutic Goods Administration) Australia. I had my initial few MRI scans with GAD (Gadolinium dye). Basically I asked him if the GAD dye was still required each time I went for a follow up MRI (at one stage they were 3 months apart) - he said that the dye was not required ongoing. So each year when I get my MRI its without GAD.

This is from the TGA website 2017 :

"You are advised to limit gadolinium-based contrast agent use to circumstances where the extra information provided by the contrast agent is necessary, and in those circumstances to use the lowest effective dose and carefully consider the choice of agent. The TGA also recommends that you avoid repetitive scans using these contrast agents unless deemed clinically necessary. "

"Published studies have found that linear gadolinium-based contrast agents appear to result in greater gadolinium retention in the brain than macrocyclic agents" .

this is the  link to the above info and also has the table of Macrolytic and Linear Gadolinium Dye products and the manufacturers....https://www.tga.gov.au/alert/gadolinium-based-contrast-agents-mri-scans

My AN Story – Sydney to Stanford CK
2.3 x 2.2  June 2022@7yrs
2.9 x 2.9  May 2020@5yrs
2.9 cm  Mar 2019@4yrs
2.9 cm  Aug 2018@3yrs
3.1 cm  Aug 2017@2yrs
3.2 cm  Aug 2016@1yr
3.2x3.0x2.5cm AN; CK Aug 2015

PBFight4SB

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2021, 09:29:09 am »
Thank you "mwatto" and "SP" for your inputs. The information is very helpful.

Now, have to find out a way to convince doctors on the need for contrast MRIs each time.

mwatto

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2021, 08:04:28 pm »
I actually insist on a kidney test every time and also I skip contrast unless I am very convinced. Envision told me they can easily track with no contrast these days as they have new technology re MRI. My son has a rare skin disease and similarly as he was still growing I have avoided any over prescribed interventions. In fact he now tall and healthy at 24 and might now look into biologics. Your son is young and healthy kidney function but maybe query contrast as its also tough on kidneys. MRI no contrast is completely safe I was told. My oncologist said that if they then suspect something we go for contrast. This works for me.
Michele
20 x19x14mm Cystic AN diagnosed Feb 2019. CK.
Mri 2019 shrinking: 18x17x13 mm.
Mri 2020 - no cysts visible stable.
MRI 2021 stable no change
MRI 2022 stable no change.
MRI 2023 Further reduction 12x12x10mm!! Hearing 85%
MRI 2024: No change AN or hearing