Author Topic: Dr. Mendez - HealthPartners Minneapolis/St. Paul  (Read 4502 times)

dtwester

Dr. Mendez - HealthPartners Minneapolis/St. Paul
« on: April 19, 2021, 02:37:52 pm »
Has anyone had any experience with Dr. Alejandro Mendez at Regions Hospital (HealthPartners) in St. Paul, Minnesota? I'm in the difficult position of trying to decide between an in-network provider versus going out of network at Mayo Clinic for my retrosigmoid surgery.

Greece Lover

Re: Dr. Mendez - HealthPartners Minneapolis/St. Paul
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 07:24:06 am »
I don't know this doctor, but probably the best question to ask is: how many AN surgeries do you do per year?  The more experience the better. From his page, it looks like he does a wide variety of neurological surgeries.  My guess is that Dr. Link at Mayo has more direct experience in AN and might be a better choice.  I know it sounds like a long drive, but it might also be worth looking at the University of Iowa, which is also a high volume center. I'm biased b/c that's where I had my surgery and I'm really glad I went there.

good luck!
Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.

dtwester

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 12:18:08 pm »
Thanks for your response Greece. It means a lot that you took the time to look up the doctor and give your feedback. I feel fortunate that Mayo is relatively close to home, and their level of experience with AN is impressive. My dilemma is more about the financial/insurance issues, but I am going to proceed with the best surgeon regardless...so wish me luck in the upcoming insurance battles :)

So great to hear that you had a good surgery outcome and have put your AN behind you!

bfoley

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 04:33:39 am »
dtweter -
I did not respond as I have not seen or researched the Dr. you were asking about.  I did go to the U of MN and also Mayo.  I ended up choosing Mayo and Dr. Link for Gamma Knife.  They just handle way more ANs per year than the U of MN.  I had my choice between surgery and gamma, but from the time I was diagnosed to seen at the AN clinics, my serviceable hearing in AN side was gone.  So I chose Gamma as it is less invasive.  Live with SSD, tinnitus (which had as one symptom driving me to diagnosis) balance / dizzy issues, and occasionally wake in am with dry eye on neuroma side.  I walk 5+ miles a day to keep my balance game up.  I wish you the best of luck in your treatment journey and recovery!

Cheryl R

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 02:38:02 pm »
And I agree with Univ of Iowa as also have had my treatment there . I was found to be NF2 in time and 3 tumors out.       I still have hearing in one ear.       It will be 20 yrs in August since met Dr Gantz  and surgery in Nov past harvest time.                            Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care