Author Topic: Newbie: watch and wait or surgery?  (Read 2925 times)

alschneid

Newbie: watch and wait or surgery?
« on: April 15, 2021, 05:22:05 pm »
Hi all,

I was just diagnosed with a 1cm AN. I had an MRI in March 2021 after c/o tinnitus in my right ear. I met with Dr Leonetti at Loyola and he is recommending retrosigmoid surgery to remove it. He said that was the best option to preserve my hearing. I have only slightly diminished hearing to high frequencies, no other symptoms or issues with balance, headaches, etc. I'm trying to decide if I should watch and wait or move forward with surgery. I'm 30 y/o and was hoping to start trying for a baby soon. I'm leaning toward removing it so that I can move on with life and hopefully forget about this AN. Does anyone have any advice? I've searched the forum for experiences with Dr Leonetti / Dr Anderson at Loyola and read mixed reviews, mostly about Dr. L's bedside manner. I wasn't impressed with his bedside manner either, but he and Dr Anderson do have a lot of experience. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

james e

• 72 years, 1.7cm, trans lab Mar 2010, BAHA 5
Re: Newbie: watch and wait or surgery?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 02:29:30 pm »
Not telling you what YOU should do, however I would want to preserve my hearing. I am SSD from my surgery 11 years ago and it still drives me nuts trying to figure out where sound is coming from.

Babies are lots of fun and grandchildren are even better. Get on with your life and enjoy it.