Author Topic: Post-surgery - exercise timing  (Read 2835 times)

Buffybeth

Post-surgery - exercise timing
« on: March 05, 2021, 01:21:17 pm »
Hello,  I'm 4 weeks out from my second surgery for an AN on the left side at UCSD (translab).  Recovery following the second surgery is moving along well and is proving easier than the first time, since balance wasn't the same issue as it was after the first procedure, and I had lost hearing following the first surgery.  But I do have some lingering questions/issues.  Does anyone have guidance on when it's safe to resume exercise beyond walking, which is what I've been doing since surgery?  Before the surgery, I had been doing some yoga and cardio/weights (lighter side) but was warned against doing inversions or putting my head below my heart, as well as lifting weights beyond a few pounds.  I didn't want to push anything but don't know how long I should maintain this protocol.  8 weeks?  Also, like others, I'm dealing with dry eye on the left side (and some discomfort).  After this second surgery I had difficulty fully shutting my eye.  That improved but the eye still feels fragile. Before my first surgery, I had already noticed that my left eye made no tears, so it's been a while, with the nerve being strained.  But I'm wondering if there are any particularly effective remedies to help boost the nerve:  I already use drops and some gel at night.  Are there any dietary supplements known to help?  Foods?  Has anyone had success with accupuncture for this sort of issue?  Thanks!
AN, 2 cm, left side
Retrosig, 4/2012, Brigham & Women's, Al-Mefty
   *lost hearing on left side during surgery
   *tumor slowly returned; face numbness
Gamma Knife, 11/2018, UPMC , Lundsford
    *Facial spasms 2 yr out; large cyst growth
Translab, 2/2021, UCSD, Schwarz/Friedman