Author Topic: Does our diagnosis affect life expectancy?  (Read 4195 times)

Elena Melnikova

Does our diagnosis affect life expectancy?
« on: February 03, 2021, 06:04:58 am »
Greetings to all! My name is Elena, I'm from Russia. A month ago, I was diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma about two cm in size. I, of course, am still in a stressful state. I am a mother of three children, and I am very scared. My most important question from the first minutes of the diagnosis-does the neuroma affect the life expectancy (with adequate treatment, of course)? Or only on the quality? Many people tell me that it does not affect the treatment and observation. Some are evasive on this subject. On the forums, I constantly meet the expression "survivor" with this diagnosis. This makes me uneasy and gives rise to new questions. So there are "non-survivors"?? Please comment if you can! I will be very grateful!

gary.s

Re: Does our diagnosis affect life expectancy?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2021, 08:58:46 pm »
Hi Elena,

Your acoustic neuroma diagnosis will have an impact on the quality of your life, not on life expectancy. This is what my neurologist and radiologist told me and after reading the forum, I do believe this is true. The symptoms you are probably already experiencing do have an impact on the quality of life. When folks on the forum use the word "survivor", it means that we went through our treatment and coped with it. Through all the anxiety and fear, we did it and are okay. We are able to survive the stress that we have all felt. Be strong and take care of yourself. You will be okay.

Gary
Mild symptoms on right side July 2014
CK April 16-20, 2018, Barrow Neurological Institute
9/2018 hearing aid Phonak Audeo B and Cros B

Elena Melnikova

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2021, 11:36:05 pm »
Thank you very much for responding to my request!
I really appreciate any help and communication now. on the forum, I read so much that encourages me - all of you, such caring people who give hope! My operation will be on March 18, I am mentally ready for it (as far as possible). I'm willing to go through anything to live for my family . Thank you again!

mwatto

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 10:16:37 pm »
I was devastated also Elena. But two and almost a half years post Cyberknife I am doing really well. Mine was the same size as yours. I have almost normal hearing and balance is fine. Only symptom I have is occasional earache during the night. I go to gym everyday and eat healthy.  I do take some supplements and I am open to learning more. Life expectancy at 60 in Covid times just leads me to be grateful and life in the moment. I am based in Perth Australia.
Michele
20 x19x14mm Cystic AN diagnosed Feb 2019. CK.
Mri 2019 shrinking: 18x17x13 mm.
Mri 2020 - no cysts visible stable.
MRI 2021 stable no change
MRI 2022 stable no change.
MRI 2023 Further reduction 12x12x10mm!! Hearing 85%
MRI 2024: No change AN or hearing