Author Topic: Bell's palsy 10yrs post AN removal  (Read 5892 times)

jennifer7

Bell's palsy 10yrs post AN removal
« on: August 25, 2020, 12:53:08 pm »
After my AN was removed in 2010 I had facial paralysis for about 9 months then most movement returned. Last week I developed severe pain around the same ear, down my neck and my jaw. Three days later in the middle of the day I lost all movement on that side of my face. I was fortunate my daughter had an appointment with her ENT a couple hours later, he started me on steroids and antiviral meds--the drugs that make you sicker than you were before. It has been four days and the paralysis has progressively worsened, the pain is slightly better.
My question is, has anyone else experienced a second paralysis years later on the same side and do you know what caused the recurrence?
retrosig 2/10/10 1.2cm
headaches, facial weakness, tinnitus
hearing preserved :)

alabamajane

Re: Bell's palsy 10yrs post AN removal
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 03:03:45 pm »
Jennifer,
I have not experienced this but have a degree of paralysis from severed facial nerve during my  surgery in 2011,, so I can sympathize with your concern.
I really hope someone else can answer you with something that will help. I just wanted to reply and send my sympathy to you. After  all these years I know this is heartbreaking. I hope the steroids help!!

Let us know,,
Good luck with it.
Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

JLR

Re: Bell's palsy 10yrs post AN removal
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 12:18:29 pm »
Hi I’m 4 years post op retro sig right side.  My right side still paralyzed with some movement. My right eye is not good.  Still very dry.  I can open and close my eye which is good but still dry with the burning stinging eye.  Pain around eye and cheek is finally better.  I’m on a medication to treat the pain impulses in the brain.  Pain probably caused by the trigeminal nerve. My AN surgery left me with no hearing on that right side and facial nerve never really healed. But I’m ok. Your pain may be caused by the trigeminal nerve known as  Trigeminal Neuralgia.  Good luck, Joan