Author Topic: Experience so far... 8 days out of surgery  (Read 2563 times)

Groylance

Experience so far... 8 days out of surgery
« on: January 13, 2021, 04:33:29 pm »
Hi all,
Just wanted to quickly share my story, hoping it may help someone in a similar situation.
I’m 35 and was diagnosed in October. Had surgery 8 days ago and am trying to get back into the swing of things.
Surgery went pretty well. I had some hearing when I woke up, but it’s gone now. They told me it’s most likely due to swelling and it’ll come back in the next couple of months. Recovery has been rough as I like to pretend that nothing is actually wrong  ;D. First few days at home were okay but I think it caught up with me and the past two days have been full of nausea, and not being able to keep much down. Oddly enough, i seem to be waking up from very vivid dreams that make me feel sick. It’s a really bizarre feeling.
Other than that, the surgeons at the university of Utah hospital were absolutely incredible and I have nothing but amazing things to say about them. I highly recommend checking them out if you are looking for treatment.
Any advice for a guy just a week out of surgery? Thank you ALL for sharing your experiences!

Greece Lover

Re: Experience so far... 8 days out of surgery
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 12:50:08 pm »
Keep up the good work. My once piece of advice is I think what you've already hinted at: the progress is not linear. a day or two of feeling great, then it feels like a setback.  Lots of healing going on and things for your body to adjust to, so have patience with yourself.  One other thing is that I struggled with anxiety quite a bit in the weeks after surgery. Kind of snuck up on me, so just be aware that that's normal.  I talked a couple times to a therapist and it was super helpful.

good luck and hope your hearing comes back OK!
Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.