Author Topic: Possible AN - navigating my wife's path during the pandemic  (Read 3987 times)

DadOf3

Possible AN - navigating my wife's path during the pandemic
« on: April 21, 2020, 07:35:12 am »
Hi all,

My wife is a beautiful, healthy 41yr old. We have 3 amazing little ones.

She felt what we assumed was an inner ear infection just as this coronavirus situation started developing, along with a 'tickle' in her throat. Those symptoms subsided a little but more worryingly we discovered her left eyelid was starting to droop. I found an ENT that would see her and he discovered significant hearing loss in her right ear. He quickly wrapped up her appointment with a brain MRI request.

I'm taking her for that MRI today, in a few hours.

My questions are:

Her 'tickle' has gotten progressively worse, resulting in very troublesome coughing fits. That's her largest complaint right now, a cough that just won't go away.  Could this be a result of an AN?  Is it something that will never go away until an AN is removed?

Her slightly drooped left eyelid is a classic sign of an AN, but it's on the opposite side of her hearing loss (right ear) - is that expected? Could a droopy eyelid improve after surgery?

For those that decided on surgery, how far did you travel or were willing to travel? I know high-volume AN surgeons get better outcomes and my first thought is to find the best facility and go there. Is there a 'best' in the country? We are in Western New York.

Especially now, during this pandemic, I am my wife's only real support system. Her anxiety is as high as you would expect and I'm trying to be strong for her but of course I'm nervous as well. Any thoughts on how I, as her only real support, could help her would be appreciated.

Thank you for any advice

Dad of 3

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Possible AN - navigating my wife's path during the pandemic
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 11:48:38 am »
Hi Dad,

We're glad you found us but also sorry to hear about what has been going on. Welcome to the discussion forum.

Did you get the results of the MRI? Was it diagnosed as an acoustic neuroma or another issue? During this pandemic, Medical Care can be quite challenging in times that we need it. I personally have run into the same situation.

If you are on Facebook, the Acoustic Neuroma Association has a wonderful recent video for those trying to forge forward during the pandemic. Below is the link to the video.

https://www.facebook.com/ANAssociation/videos/256052825447318//

We hope you find it insightful. Also hoping that others will chime in to share their experience with you here in discussion thread.

Again, welcome.

Phyllis
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"