Author Topic: A year post-op ear pressure/fullness  (Read 2149 times)

rigbylu

A year post-op ear pressure/fullness
« on: March 22, 2020, 05:15:16 pm »
Hi, I’m a little over a year post-op. MF removed a facial schwannoma not an AN as was thought. I lost high frequency hearing on that side & have tinnitus. I’m not going to discuss my vestibular symptoms & progress now as it doesn’t relate to my question.

For the past few week I’ve been experiencing ear pressure & fullness on that side. I have no other symptoms of any kind. I take antihistamine daily for seasonal allergies. Although I haven’t been outside of my house for more than a few minutes. I just received the authorization for my first post-op MRI but under the current circumstances & my concern for exposure as I’m in a hotspot I don’t want to go right now. I had a very similar feeling prior to my surgery, along with severe vestibular symptoms. Has anyone experienced an issue with ear pressure after surgery?

jami

Re: A year post-op ear pressure/fullness
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 07:04:20 pm »
Hi,

I have been feeling fullness and pressure for the past 3 months (surgery was Sept 2018) and it had me a bit freaked out. Along with an increase in facial numbness (even around my eyelids). The drs did not seem too worried but it was time for a MRI so i had one friday. Just a quick voicemail from the dr (we will talk in depth early next week) and they told me that all looks stable, nothing to worry about. (I could write a whole other post about accepting the new normal)

I felt really safe during the MRI, there was a LOT of caution by the professionals. The office was practically empty, even the check in person had tape a few feet in front of the check in and they wouldn't let me cross the line unti i answered questions.

(sorry rogbylu - i am making this all about me!)

Jami

Jami
-----
5/17/18: 2.7 x 2.2 x 2.1cm
8/12/18 right retrosigmoid craniotomy @UNC
8/15/18: 1.0 x 0.4 x 0.4 cm
3/04/19: 1.0 x 0.8 x 0.5 cm
4/23/19 Cyber Knife treatment
10/23/19 0.7 x 0.3 x 0.8 cm

rigbylu

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 06:59:06 am »
Thanks for your response, Jami. I’m so happy your MRI indicated you had nothing to be concerned about. I do understand what you mean about the “new normal.” Perhaps this will be a new part of mine.  I’m extremely nervous about Corona Virus. I live in the US’s hotspot, downstate New York. My husband & I both have underlying medical conditions which increase our risk and we’re both over 60. We frequently hear of co-workers or people in the community testing positive. I’ve decided having the MRI now isn’t necessary. I’m going to wait until the summer.

Greece Lover

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 08:04:16 am »
Sounds like a good idea to wait for the MRI.  I also had mid fossa and do sometimes get a sense of fullness.  Who knows why?  I feel like I get it if there's a sudden change in the weather. I also get it sometimes if I exercise strenuously.  I try not to let it freak me out, and I think over the past three years I've come to just see it as part of the new normal!

Stay safe!
Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.