Author Topic: Facial palsy and possible treatment  (Read 6531 times)

windy

Facial palsy and possible treatment
« on: January 24, 2020, 05:03:09 pm »
Hi,

I am an AN member that is 12 years post GK treatment for my AN. All is well with my AN per my last visit being 2019. I have not had issues with growth or treatment in the last several years.

I am reaching out in hopes of getting some advice as I know that are many people on this forum with facial nerve knowledge. My father had parotid gland cancer in 2003 and had very high amounts of radiation (per doctors that reviewed his oncology records) with no shielding of any areas of his body. Since radiation treatment, he has had multiple issues that we are told are directly related to his radiation treatment. He has left spinal accessory nerve damage, open heart surgery in 2012 from vessels that shrunk, single side deafness, damaged teeth, years and years of reoccurring ear infections and more recently a fistula between his ear and jaw internally. As of today, he is now he showing signs of facial palsy as his mouth is drooping on one side and very obvious when smiling. The medical professionals we have seen in various locations such as UAB (Birmingham), Vanderbilt, etc. have been shocked he did not facial issues previously.

As soon as I noticed the single sided facial drooping, I called his local ENT's office today and to ask if steroids would help. The nurse called back and said the doctor said they could give him a very low dose of steroids such as 5 mg. per day until we could see him on Monday. I told her he already takes 5 mg. daily anyway for an all over rash that they can not control, but that is all they would offer. I hung up with no help from the ENT doctor. As he is currently on 5 mg. and has drooping that would be of no help in my opinion.

Is there anything that can be done for facial weakness or is it just something that is inevitable in some cases? Any advice you can give me would be helpful. Thank you very much.

Windy   
« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 05:22:07 pm by windy »
* Diagnosed w/AN (9mm x 11mm x 9mm) - 6-10-08
* GK @ UPMC w/Dr. Lunsford - 8-5-08
* Stable MRI - Aug. 2009
* 2 MM's Growth - Aug. 2010
* Lost 60% Hearing - Dec. 2010
* More Growth?? - Wait & Watch - Jan. 2012
* 1 MM Shrinkage - Aug. 2012
* 2 MM's Shrinkage - Aug. 2013
* Slight Shrinkage - Aug. 2014

gbly

Re: Facial palsy and possible treatment
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 05:48:52 pm »
Windy,
I did not see your post until now.  I had radiation about 5 months ago and my face on that side has dropped, very frustrating.  I have been getting steroids but I don't think the length of duration is long enough.  I asked if I could go longer than 5 days we will see.
I have been doing massage on my face, lymph node massage and facial exercises.  I note several in the forum also talk about acupuncture and PT.  I have my MRI in another week and will see what I really have going on.
Good luck and facial massage seems to be a good one to keep everything going, also ask for steroids.
v/r GB