Author Topic: AN Surgeons in Colorado  (Read 3952 times)

Jman2019

AN Surgeons in Colorado
« on: October 02, 2019, 07:29:15 pm »
Hi, wanted to repost this with more specifics-
Recently diagnosed and researching doctors and options.  Have an RS AN of 3.5mmx2.4mmx2mm. Anyone have recommendations for AN surgeons  in Colorado?  Looking at Dr Cass with University of Colorado and Dr Muckle with Denver Ear Clinic. Anyone  have experiences with these two doctors and treatment centers? Anyone have any other highly recommended doctors in Colorado?   Any experiences or guidance anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks!

Greece Lover

Re: AN Surgeons in Colorado
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 01:16:38 pm »
Sorry you had to join the club.  I can't help with Colorado, but as everyone on here will attest, it is really important to go to a high volume center if you can.  Ideally, someone who does surgery on ANs once a week or more.

Your tumor is quite small, if I understand your dimensions correctly.  Do you know if you're a candidate for Middle fossa approach? T/hat's another potential factor, as that approach has the best rates of hearing prevention, but not as many surgeons go in that way on a regular basis.

good luck!
Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.

Jman2019

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 03:54:59 pm »
 Thank you so much for the reply! I have my first meeting with a doctor at University of Colorado Hospital tomorrow so I’ll know more about what I’m a candidate for or what they suggest then.  I am reading through as much of this website as I can and it’s been super helpful.  At this point I feel I will choose between w&w and maybe eventually mid fossa surgery. I’m leaning towards Friedman and Schwartz at University of San Diego for an opinion and also  House clinic. 

Thanks again!

Greece Lover

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 10:03:01 am »
That sounds like a really good plan.  Those guys in California are famous for this, and I've never heard of anyone who regretted checking with them.

good luck.
Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.

kkc

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 08:41:42 pm »
Hi...I'm in Littleton.  I had Gamma Knife at Swedish three years ago with Dr. Muckle's partner.  There is an AN support group meeting in Denver about every 3 months or so, which you might find helpful.  Also, there is an AN Facebook support group -- it's quite an active group and will be able to help you with this question.  Many in the group refer to an AN expert in California, a Dr. Friedman, who only does AN surgeries, so he's done hundreds & hundreds - he does free consults over the phone.  The thing to beware of in the FB group is that there are people who hang around & comment because they've had struggles following their surgery (in my opinion).  Of course, there are a lot who had good outcomes, but I believe they don't comment as much.  Overall, the tone is positive.  I find a lot of understanding for being almost deaf in one ear & also having facial paralysis after GK (there's a rare chance of facial paralysis after GK, about 1-2% I think). 
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 08:45:09 pm by kkc »