Author Topic: MRIs and Dental Implants  (Read 4662 times)

FranDS

• 7mm; diag May 2, 2006
MRIs and Dental Implants
« on: November 25, 2006, 10:18:27 pm »
While I'm watching and waiting, I'm wondering if dental implants will cause problems with MRIs.   I know I will have to have MRIs often and even after CK, if I go that route, but I also would like to get some dental work done...wondering if I have to give up the idea of implants.  Thanks.
Fran
7mm May 2, 2006
Waiting and Watching

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: MRIs and Dental Implants
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 05:37:18 pm »
Fran.

If you have bridges or such with metal in them, please advise the MRI center in advance.  If they are removable, then terrific.. if there is any forms of metal in your head (dental, shrapnal, metal clips, etc), they will need to know prior to the test.

I hope that helps.
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Obita

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 06:57:20 pm »
FranDS:

I think most dental implants are made of titanium.  It is my understanding that titanium does not interfere with an MRI.

I am almost positive I read that on here.  I have titanium hips and have a MRI every year.

Kathy

Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

FranDS

• 7mm; diag May 2, 2006
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 12:42:11 pm »
Thank you for your repliies.  Looks liike I can go forward as long as I'm careful about the type of material the dentists uses.  You guys are terrif!
Fran
7mm May 2, 2006
Waiting and Watching