Author Topic: doctors And an centers in nyc  (Read 6205 times)

judyc

doctors And an centers in nyc
« on: September 23, 2019, 04:40:53 pm »
I was diagnosed with a small AN 2 weeks ago. I would appreciate recommendations for doctors and hospitals that specialize in this area in New York City. My first consult Is with a physician my ENT recommended at  Mt. Sinai but I’m not sure that hospital has the expertise required. If anyone can recommend a doctor or hospital it will be very much appreciated.

Surfer

Re: doctors And an centers in nyc
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2019, 08:34:28 am »
Dr Selesnick at Cornell. I had a positive outcome. Dont care much for his bedside manners, but the outcome is most important. Finding a surgeon who regularly performs this surgery is the objective.
February 2016- 4.6 cm removed at Sloan Kettering NY by Dr. Gutin and Dr. Selesnick.  Residual left behind to preserve the facial nerve. Two year MRI indicates a shrinking of the residual. Three year MRI indicates no change in size.

judyc

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 09:56:02 am »
Thank you for your quick response. I have an appointment with him on Oct 15.
This is quite overwhelming and any help or recommendations from this board are very much appreciated.

Surfer

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2019, 05:48:05 am »
Please let me know how it goes. Hang in there.  Getting news like this is overwhelming,  but you will move through it and come out the other side.
February 2016- 4.6 cm removed at Sloan Kettering NY by Dr. Gutin and Dr. Selesnick.  Residual left behind to preserve the facial nerve. Two year MRI indicates a shrinking of the residual. Three year MRI indicates no change in size.

judyc

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 05:55:34 am »
I saw Dr. Selesnick Tuesday. A you said he won't win any awards for a warm bedside manner but he seemed to be expert in his area. He has recommended a wait and observe.  I will get a MRI in 6 months to see if its grown and if it has treatment will be decided then. Since my balance is bad I will go for PT .
thanks for the recommendation and encouragement. I will update.

Surfer

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2019, 09:05:22 am »
Please let me know if the PT helps.

Jakey

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2020, 09:52:40 am »
Hey, saw your post and just wanted to comment.  I was diagnosed with a small (3mm) AN in the fall of 2017.  Live in Northern NJ but work in the city & met with Sisti at Columbia and had it treated by Gamma Knife in June of 2018.  Happy to share my thoughts on doctors and the process I've gone through if you want more info.  In short, watch & wait is the way to go, but I had some rapidly deteriorating hearing issues so I gave GK a shot.  Anyway, best of luck as you work your way through this.  FWIW, I don't think there's any one "correct" approach, it differs on each person's unique situation.