Author Topic: Boston doctors Mckenna and Martuza/ FSR at John Hopkins  (Read 28452 times)

dugan

recommendation
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2006, 01:29:21 pm »
I  twenty-three-years-old and have just been diagnosed with a acoustic Schwannoma.  The tumor did not present any symptoms until about two months ago.  The tumor is already about 3.5 cm in diameter.  As surgery is the only realistic option, I would greatly appreciate a recommendation of a physician  My main concern for surgery is the preservation of the facial nerve and facial function.  I live in MA and was beginning to look into surgeons at MEEI and MGH.  Also looking into the House Institute.  What would be your recommendation?  If you had to do it all over again would you have chosen a different surgical team?   

Any recommendation you could make would be greatly appreciated.         

Thanks everyone,

Andy

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
Re: Boston doctors Mckenna and Martuza/ FSR at John Hopkins
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2006, 10:44:59 am »
Hey Andy,

Did you get your AN taken care of yet? Sorry for the delay in response time. I'm from the Boston area as well. Had mine done at Mass General. I'll be looking for your response.

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2006, 11:23:19 am »
Hi Paul,

Here in Wakefield! Great to see another Bostonian around here! :)

I hear Martuza is great at MGH... I'm working with Drs Peter Black and Elizabeth Claus at Brigham/Womans (Dr. Black does approx 50 microsurgical AN's/year). Just had Cyberknife done last week at Beth Israel... great team over there as well. We are truly lucky to live in a medical mecca.

Hoping you and Andy are doing well...... sending wishes to you both!
Phyllis
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Crazycat

« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2006, 03:43:23 pm »
Hi Phyl!!

I've been seeing your posts in the General catagory. Yes we are lucky to be living in the Boston area! I'm in Billerica.
          How have you been feeling? I still get tired all the time and need power naps throughout the day. Aside from that, I've been doing okay. Have you seen any of my other posts? (all in the general catagory) There must be a way to group them together for easy reading.

My doctors are Dr. Barker (neurosurgeon @ MGH) and Dr. McKenna (ENT @ Mass Eye and Ear) They are "the team". And a great team they are!! Have some things to do. I'll catch up with you soon!

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2006, 04:20:58 pm »
Hi Paul... have noticed your posts as well! :) Billerica? Heck, we're only 10 minutes away! :)

Great team you have! Have heard wonderful about Barker.. and McKenna.... you truly were cared for by some of the best in the area. I have not met them but Dr. Claus knows them both well and speaks VERY highly of them. Thrilled to hear you are doing well.

1 week post-treatment here, so a bit slow going but hanging tough mentally. Tired as well but still on the Decadron and such (on taper mode now) so, just taking things day by day and feeling good about my decision choice and hoping for the outcome we all wish.... Let me know if you ever head toward Burlington or Woburn Malls. Would love to say hi and meet another local AN'er.

Hang in there!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

mac

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2006, 12:18:30 pm »
Dr's McKenna & Barker (MGH) removed my 1.1cm AN on 4/14/06 via translab. Released from hospital 10am on 4/18. Home catching up on email. Some strength (endurance) and balance issues but dramatic improvement daily. No other problems. Hearing was mostly gone months ago.
1.1cm AN (left) via Translab 4/14/06 Mass General
Dr's McKenna & Barker

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2006, 12:30:55 pm »
Mac,

Hello and welcome! Another local (Boston-based) AN'er? (Crazycat is local and so am I)

Oh, you are in fab hands with these 2 docs.  Here's hoping you are feeling better soon and if you are local resident, would love to say hi at some point when you are up for it (I'm out in Wakefield/Stoneham area).

Phyl

mac

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2006, 01:15:43 pm »
From Hollis, NH just up the road a bit....
Dr's McKenna & Barker

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2006, 01:21:31 pm »
Hollis works, Mac.  Sending you wishes for a continued, speedy recovery and in time, maybe some of the local An'ers can meet and say hi. The local Boston ANA support chapter just lost their support leader, but I'm more than happy to go an extra mile to meet others in the area. :)

Phyl

Crazycat

« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2006, 02:19:44 pm »
Hello Mac!!

Nice to meet someone who was treated by the same team I was. You were out of the hospital in a couple of days? Not bad!!

I was in for two weeks in August with the shunt installation and three weeks in Sept - Oct for the tumor removal - 5cm x 5cm.
Doing well now. I was deaf in my left ear for six years before diagnosis so at least I'm used to it! My band plays in NH quite often so maybe I'll see you there sometime.

Paul

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2006, 07:28:15 am »
Mac, how are you feeling?

Paul, you let me know when you all are playing... I'll be there! :)

Phyl

Crazycat

« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2006, 10:19:36 pm »
Yes Phyl......but first we have coffee!!!! Looking forward to it. Will call you soon.

Paul

mac

« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2006, 09:42:43 am »
A bit of a set-back. On 3 May I woke up with a severe headache. Went right to ER at MGH. Spent until Friday being both treated and diagnosed. Still not absolutely sure what type of meningitis I have but that's what it is. It seems to be a "sterile" meningitis possibly due to localized fat necrosis and does not appear to be infected! Treatment with broad spectrum antibiotics immediately resulted in quick improvement. Since they could not get a culture to grow to further clarify, I've been sent home, with home-care assistence, to continue the antibiotics IV treatments for 3 weeks. Not feeling too bad - weak, shakey, still some balance issues but no more pain.
Dr's McKenna & Barker

Crazycat

« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2006, 09:51:18 am »
Mac,

Sorry to hear that. Glad to hear you caught it in time! Did you see Dr. Barker? I have a return visit scheduled for next Thursday. MY follow up MRI is tomorrow morning.

Tjke Care,  Paul

mac

« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2006, 10:30:18 am »
I saw lots of Barker and McKenna and their teams plus Dr's from the infection team. Their attention and support were fantastic. They are getting blood tests and feed-back from the home-care people so are still monitoring for potential infections hiding somewhere. I get another MRI in a couple of weeks and go back to see them all in early June.
Dr's McKenna & Barker