Author Topic: Everything tastes bad!  (Read 11382 times)

Pbellovin

Everything tastes bad!
« on: July 15, 2019, 06:27:00 pm »
I am 4 weeks post translab surgery. All is going well except for the awful taste in my mouth. Everything I eat tastes odd and has a metallic, Burning, sour taste. Had anyone experienced this and, if, so, does it ever subside?

ANSydney

Re: Everything tastes bad!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 07:46:31 pm »
Sounds like your facial nerve has been compromised. Is the bad taste only on your AN side and only at the front of your tongue?

Pbellovin

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 01:55:11 pm »
Actually my facial nerve has not been compromised in any way. The burning, metallic taste is covering my entire tongue and roof of my mouth.

ANSydney

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 04:22:37 pm »
That sounds strange.

harbormom

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 04:36:27 pm »
I had this as well with my retro.  Everything tasted terrible.  10 months later, it has gotten a bit better, but my ability to taste correctly is not good.  My neurologist says that it may improve up to 18 months after surgery.  Whatever ability one has after that, it how it's going to stay.
Do you find tomato sauce and anything in tomato sauce absolutely disgusting?  I sure do.  At the point you're at, I also thought beef tasted horrible--I couldn't eat it.  Now, I can taste and enjoy it.  But add ketchup to a burger and it makes it taste gross.  It's weird--I can taste simple foods pretty well now--vegetables, chicken, fruits.  The problem occurs with complex tastes like spicy food, tomato sauce, things with lots of ingredients.  Unfortunately, my pre-surgery love of chocolate has disappeared too.  Chocolate takes yuck.

jrlf

• AN on left side. Retrosigmoid surgery Jan 2019.
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2019, 06:28:09 am »
I had a similar effect with my retro. In the beginning, it felt like everything tasted funny. I've noticed at some point that only on the left side (AN side) of my tongue was weird. It is as if I can't really taste, so everything is sour. I've learned to move food to my right side since then. It is not ideal but at least I can taste food properly. Changed my taste in general more to citric drinks. Used to love Coke zero. Can't stand it now. More of a Sprite guy now.  :)
I believe it is getting better gradually but can't be 100 sure.
AN on left side. Retrosigmoid surgery Jan 2019.
CSF leaf fixed with second surgery 18 days after the first one.
Paranoid about having CSF leak again. :)
Back to work in 4 months.

Greece Lover

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2019, 08:14:03 am »
I had this too.  My Doc said it is very common.  It is due to trauma to the facial nerve during surgery and tumor removal.  He said it almost always corrects within 6 months.  that was true for me (more like 3 months).  Wish you the best.  Its definitely annoying!
Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.

Surfer

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 03:54:06 pm »
I had the same problem post surgery.  It lasted a few months and eventually returned to normal. I hope you experience complete wellness in time.  Hang in there.
February 2016- 4.6 cm removed at Sloan Kettering NY by Dr. Gutin and Dr. Selesnick.  Residual left behind to preserve the facial nerve. Two year MRI indicates a shrinking of the residual. Three year MRI indicates no change in size.

Rhcdad

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2019, 06:14:54 am »
I also had it, nothing tasted good. Had the metal taste, another hurdle to cross during recovery, mine came back to normal after 4 months or so as I remember. Stay strong and best of luck!!
2.54 cm tumor
TransLab @ House Clinic
Surgery 10/27/15
Numerous Post Surgery Issues

Pbellovin

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2019, 05:08:54 pm »
Thanks for all your replies. I guess I’ll just have to deal with this awful taste issue for some time since I’m only 6 weeks out from translab surgery

Rocky

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2019, 12:14:25 am »
I had CyberKnife surgery Jan. 31, 2019. I notice that sometimes on my AN side my lips taste "salty."  I taste some foods much better than others....some foods are tasteless.  I now LIKE to eat Marmite...something I always found icky....

KarlZ

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2019, 08:12:18 am »
I'm approaching 5 years post-translab. I was fortunate to not have had any impact to my facial characteristics.

But I definitely experienced taste changes. Initially, all tastes were very subdued.  Then, and all of the surgical inflammation went away, I had some taste inversion - sweet was salty for example.  Now I no longer have the inversion, but my sense of taste is more easily overloaded by hot peppers.    Took a while, but I'm fine with the minimal lingering change.
1.1cm right side AN
SSD
Post Translab Surgery - Vanderbilt University
So far so good (2 years!)

Sundragon

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2019, 11:19:17 am »
For the first month I couldn't eat anything except Eggo waffles that didn't taste like sour lemon rinds. Mine is still there at times but it is definitely better at 3 months post op. I think mine has a lot to do with how tired or how much I push myself.

Yuillj

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2019, 08:40:32 pm »
Same here, 5 days post op now. Everything tastes like extra salt. CSF ruled out. Ugh!!! Hopefully it goes away in a few months.

tjgorilla

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2020, 09:11:49 pm »
I am 3 months post surgery and my taste is off as well.  everything tastes dull to me.  I'm hoping it gets better.  Hope you do too.