Author Topic: Possible cause of Neuroma  (Read 4431 times)

talha

Possible cause of Neuroma
« on: July 10, 2019, 06:43:56 am »
I have been diagnosed with facial nerve neurons this Feb and had cyber knife treatment of it in April. I had first symptom of ear fullness back in 2016 followed by tinnitus.
I am curious about what actually cause a neuroma! I mean what neurochemical imbalance actually causes it! I have heard that vitamin b12 deficiency and potassium defiency may cause any improper growth of tissues in the body. Knowing the cause could prevent one from any possible future growth!
Appreciate your views

golfguy49

Re: Possible cause of Neuroma
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 12:35:59 pm »
I wouldn't put much stock in the claim about b12 and/or potassium deficiencies causing AN.  I have never had a deficiency of either (eat cereal with milk every day) with a balanced diet and plenty of meats, fruits, and vegetables.  No vegan or vegetarian here - I eat everything and have since I was a small kid...and I still got an AN.  Also, if deficiency caused it, why wouldn't both sides stop producing cells at the same rate and thus cause AN in both sides (even without NF2)?  I am more likely to attribute it to other environmental factors such as cell phones, loud sounds, unrecognized prior infection in that ear, or something altogether more weird than any of those things.   
March 2018: 10 x 5 x 5 mm AN diagnosed April 2018.  October 2018: 12 x 5 x 5 mm.  Considering surgery in early 2019.
October 2019: 14 x 5 x 5mm.  Surgery scheduled for late Jan 2020.
January 2020:  Surgery at NW Hospital in Chicago area done by Drs. Fishman and Brayton

Jill Marie

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 12:48:36 pm »
My tumor started growing before I entered 1st grade, had lost noticeable hearing in left ear the first time the school tested me.  No cellphones then and not sure about my diet as that was a long time ago, I'm 62 now and had the tumor removed when in was 35.  Not sure why someone so young would start growing a tumor, hopefully one day they figure it out.  Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

samanthalambert

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 06:15:52 pm »
My surgeon claims it's caused by genes, but I am convinced that hormones play a part. I was on an estrogen patch when I started losing my hearing and then an MRI showed a 3.2cm neuroma.
3.2 cm AN (right side) diagnosed in 10/2018
Only symptom: mild hearing loss
TransLab surgery 1/2/19 @MUSC w/ Drs. Lambert & Patel. Sliver of tumor left.
Rt. Side facial paralysis (nerve stretched), tumor was "sticky", SSD, getting platinum weight implant 6/13/19
Doing fine otherwise!

mistasteve

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2019, 06:04:58 pm »
I think sometimes you just get unlucky, cells start growing out of control. Not the most satisfying answer perhaps but I am trying to focus on the positives - it was benign as opposed to having a big inoperable malignant tumor or something like that. My Dr. said they appear to be more frequent these days but most likely it's just because more of them are being caught on MRIs.

MT

• Hoping to recover from facial palsy...
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 09:10:08 am »
My surgeon claims it's caused by genes

All the research papers I have read suggests otherwise. It's neither genes (except in few and rare cases having something they call NF something which I forgot not in a mood to Google) nor hormonal imbalance, etc.
No symptoms except mild hearing loss
RS procedure on 26-Oct-18 (2.7 x 2.5 cm AN)
Deafness and facial palsy on right side
26-Feb-19 MRI showed 0.8 cm of leftover tumor
Slight movement on ~7-Jul-19 but mostly paralyzed

Full story:
https://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=24255.msg97977829

ANSydney

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2019, 04:55:10 pm »
dental xrays?

Greece Lover

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 09:17:06 am »
My opinion is that this type of anecdotal speculation is not helpful.  there are many researchers working on this and if and when they find a "cause" then they'll publish the results and let the public know. 
Of course we want to know "why" and "how" but we are not always going to be able to have answers to those questions. 
Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.

ANSydney

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2019, 06:12:44 pm »
I'm going to offer my opinion. I think the collective wisdom, first hand information, superior numbers and motivation of patients is significant.

Greece Lover

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2019, 12:32:14 pm »
I agree that all those things are significant, but they are not a replacement for solid scientific proofs and knowledge. 
Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.

PaulW

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2019, 05:01:12 pm »
The cause of neuromas is genetic damage, or you have inherited a genetic defect.
Genetic damage is part of life. Your bodies cells are on average replaced every 7 years. The process of dividing is never complete and genetic damage is caused with every division. At the end of the DNA strands are Telomeres. After every division the ends of the DNA strands are often damaged or left behind. When we are younger the Telomeres are longer but after every division the telomeres become shorter, until eventually there are none, and then the DNA strands themselves become damaged. The cell with the damaged DNA could be totally defective and just die, it could be less effective or in rare cases become cancerous or a benign tumour.. This process is known as ageing and so far nobody has been able to stop it. Wrinkled skin age spots, organs that don’t work as well.. Be thankful our telomeres are longer than other animals giving us a longer life span. So most neuromas are caused by genetic damage, and most likely purely through the replication/ageing process. There are other known causes such as ionising radiation. Most people have not been exposed to a level of ionising radiation that would create any measurable increase in risk.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 05:05:02 pm by PaulW »
10x5x5mm AN
Sudden Partial hearing loss 5/28/10
Diagnosed 7/4/10
CK 7/27/10
2/21/11 Swelling 13x6x7mm
10/16/11 Hearing returned, balance improved. Feel totally back to normal most days
3/1/12 Sudden Hearing loss, steroids, hearing back.
9/16/13 Life is just like before my AN. ALL Good!