Author Topic: Resting after translab surgery. How much is enough?  (Read 4189 times)

Pbellovin

Resting after translab surgery. How much is enough?
« on: July 07, 2019, 01:09:13 pm »
I had left side translab surgery June 20, 2019. I find that any sort of physical activity leaves me totally exhausted. Is there any way to gauge how much rest is necessary or how soon I’ll get more energy back just to do simple things like showering or cooking a small meal for myself.

chrisabbott

Re: Resting after translab surgery. How much is enough?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 08:19:05 pm »
I don't know about how soon, but June 20th is very recent to have your energy back following any major surgery. 

I had translab June 13th and do very well after anesthesia in general (based on prior unrelated surgeries); this time, I needed a second op the next day to fix a complication from the abdominal fat transplant which lasted about 3 hours - still no nausea and quick to be lucid enough to be asking for food and drinks within an hour of being back to ICU....  I found that I had several days of feeling winded/a little short of breath just going up a flight or two of stairs. That has completely passed and I feel it was the toxic stuff needing to get out of my body.  Currently, I need several naps a day, and if I let someone drive me somewhere, I'll be asleep within a few minutes whereas normally I would be chatting and knitting or navigating.  I can do stuff, but it takes me much longer - yesterday I decided to clean out my fridge and it took me all day vs a couple hours but I deliberately took my time since I've been advised to avoid heavy lifting for 6 weeks post op to avoid CSF leaks etc.

Folks are in too much hurry to get better "get well soon!" vs aiming for a full recovery - if you feel a little better or stronger most days, (expect the odd day to be more uncomfortable or tiring here and there) then you are doing well.  The rate of recovery will vary from person to person, but it for me it would be mostly 2 or 3 good days for each rough day for a couple weeks, then mostly only the odd rough night thereafter (healing happens when you try to sleep, and healing is not sensation-free!). I have no idea what it should be like for brain surgery as I've only had bone & joint procedures in the past but that's my idea of "normal" following surgery.

I hope you're on the path to recovery and will be able to give yourself time to allow your body to heal.
Strange tastes, facial numbness symptoms led to MRI 3/2019: 2.4 x 3.2 x 2.6 cm VS on left side
Left hearing went 4/2019
Translab 06132019:  1.4 x 2.4 x 1.6 cm residual stuck to facial nerve & brain stem
MRI 12122019:  1.6 x 3.2 x 2.3 cm
Translab 01132020:  0.1 x 0.75 x 0.57 + 1.5 x 0.5 cm
GK next

MT

• Hoping to recover from facial palsy...
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 11:41:44 am »
I had left side translab surgery June 20, 2019. I find that any sort of physical activity leaves me totally exhausted. Is there any way to gauge how much rest is necessary or how soon I’ll get more energy back just to do simple things like showering or cooking a small meal for myself.

You will see good strength levels after 30 days or so. Pre-procedure health status and life style would matter a lot. Drove myself to hospital for surgery and drove back home upon discharge after retro-sigmoid procedure (distance about 35 kilomters /~22 miles from/to home). I had to stay on mostly soups due to throat and mouth problems. Prior to procedure, I was a gym-goer + used to walk a lot and have rhino's mentality ('at all costs' kind of thing) so was able to return to normal life in 20 days and was able to work from home, play online video games, etc.

Point is, every one is unique so take responses from forum as relative not absolute. Just stay motivated and don't rush. Healthy diet will play an important role.
No symptoms except mild hearing loss
RS procedure on 26-Oct-18 (2.7 x 2.5 cm AN)
Deafness and facial palsy on right side
26-Feb-19 MRI showed 0.8 cm of leftover tumor
Slight movement on ~7-Jul-19 but mostly paralyzed

Full story:
https://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=24255.msg97977829

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 12:31:04 am »
The way I took it....when I was tired I slept and I'll be better when I'm better.
The process is completely individual
Take Care
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

jrlf

• AN on left side. Retrosigmoid surgery Jan 2019.
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2019, 07:32:55 am »
The way I took it....when I was tired I slept and I'll be better when I'm better.
The process is completely individual
Take Care
I agree with Kathleen. It took me a while to understand it though. I wanted to be back to normal as soon as possible. That made me (still makes me sometimes) very anxious. I wanted to rest more (to heal) but was not feeling really tired. Sometimes I was tired but wanted to do the same things I was used to.
I didn't want to disappoint myself, family,work,etc. by not being there or at peak performance.
You need to try and listen to your body.
AN on left side. Retrosigmoid surgery Jan 2019.
CSF leaf fixed with second surgery 18 days after the first one.
Paranoid about having CSF leak again. :)
Back to work in 4 months.

Greece Lover

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2019, 08:14:42 am »
listen to your body.  If you're tired, then rest!
Vestibular Schwannoma 1.2 cm. Right side.
Middle fossa surgery at University of Iowa on May 9 2016.
Hearing saved.  Face is fine. Balance pretty darn good most days.
One year follow up MRI showed no tumor. 
Five year follow up showed no tumor, so I'm in the clear.

JD808

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2019, 12:47:40 pm »
The best advice has already been given, take your time and listen to your body. We are all different, and our reactions to the surgery are as well. Take your time and rest when needed.
Diagnosed 1.5cm x .08cm x 1.1cm AN right ear 5/2018
Total hearing loss in right ear at 5/2018 and significant balance issues.
Translab surgery Friedman and Schwartz UCSD 7/18/18
80% tumor removal due to facial nerve adhesion
Balance issues solved, no facial nerve issues.

jami

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2019, 09:56:47 pm »
HI,
Hope things are going well! My advice, take what you think you need and add a week. If in doubt, rest.
Jami
Jami
-----
5/17/18: 2.7 x 2.2 x 2.1cm
8/12/18 right retrosigmoid craniotomy @UNC
8/15/18: 1.0 x 0.4 x 0.4 cm
3/04/19: 1.0 x 0.8 x 0.5 cm
4/23/19 Cyber Knife treatment
10/23/19 0.7 x 0.3 x 0.8 cm

mistasteve

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2019, 06:10:04 pm »
I took 4 weeks off, I don't think it was enough :( I am trying to pull through, though.

thomasb

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2019, 10:27:30 am »
I am almost 6 months from my translab and with support from my wife, physical therapy, speech therapy, daily walks, prayer, and good doctors I can see progress from the day after the surgery to where I am today. I have a ways to go but Prayer and Patience and Persistence seem to be my guiding light, It gets better. Believe me. 

mistasteve

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2019, 07:56:05 pm »
I am almost 6 months from my translab and with support from my wife, physical therapy, speech therapy, daily walks, prayer, and good doctors I can see progress from the day after the surgery to where I am today. I have a ways to go but Prayer and Patience and Persistence seem to be my guiding light, It gets better. Believe me.

That's good to hear, Thomas. I am hearing that a lot, I am trying to be patient.

jami

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2019, 07:18:20 pm »
Chiming in -- it DOES get better! I am a bit over 1 year post surgery, and realize from time to time that my thoughts are clearer than they have in ages and energy level is getting back to 'the old jami'.

Jami
-----
5/17/18: 2.7 x 2.2 x 2.1cm
8/12/18 right retrosigmoid craniotomy @UNC
8/15/18: 1.0 x 0.4 x 0.4 cm
3/04/19: 1.0 x 0.8 x 0.5 cm
4/23/19 Cyber Knife treatment
10/23/19 0.7 x 0.3 x 0.8 cm

mistasteve

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2019, 08:59:03 am »
That's really great to hear!