Author Topic: Meeting with surgeons before surgery  (Read 3892 times)

Pbellovin

Meeting with surgeons before surgery
« on: June 12, 2019, 12:33:40 pm »
Is it customary for a patient to meet with the neurosurgeon and neurotologist before surgery to ask questions or discuss concerns and also to have the patient’s family there for emotional support?

samanthalambert

Re: Meeting with surgeons before surgery
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 02:02:49 pm »
My ENT surgeon came in and saw me before my surgery (like around 6:45am). I was just about to get sedated. He asked if I had any questions, and I think my response was "I'm ready to get this over with." Then he said something comforting like, "You're in good hands. We'll take good care of you." Hospital staff know you are anxious before surgery and they are quick to get things going because these surgeries start very early in the morning. After my surgery, my ENT surgeon visited with me every day - probably twice a day. I always felt like I was well taken care of and could ask questions at any time. As for my husband, he was in the waiting room and a nurse would call him like every two hours to update him on how things were going. I hope this helps. Wishing you the best :)
3.2 cm AN (right side) diagnosed in 10/2018
Only symptom: mild hearing loss
TransLab surgery 1/2/19 @MUSC w/ Drs. Lambert & Patel. Sliver of tumor left.
Rt. Side facial paralysis (nerve stretched), tumor was "sticky", SSD, getting platinum weight implant 6/13/19
Doing fine otherwise!

Pbellovin

Re: Meeting with surgeons before surgery
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 05:10:40 pm »
Thanks so much!