Good evening all. What a great web page. So much information.
I was diagnosed with AN in September 2017 and in a W&W status since. MRI's done in 2017, 2018 and 2019 at Mayo in Rochester MN. Good news and bad news. Good news is the AN is still small, 12 x 9 x 8 mm, with "no contact of the left middle
cerebellar peduncle, no extension to the left IAC fundus, no labyrinthine extension is identified, no evident extension along the facial nerve" As many have noted in the forum there is a lot to understand and a lot of confusing terms. When I met with the DR they did a great job of explaining, but I think I did a poor job of listening. They noted that since the AN does seem to be growing so I should consider treatment. I am sending my scans to the House Clinic as well for their free consultation.
I have some hearing loss but still very good speech recognition.
Mayo suggested Gamma Knife or surgery since it is growing. But since it is slow growing I could W&W another year. Tough decision. W&W won't hurt since its small and slow growing. GK has great results it sounds like a good chance of losing my hearing. Surgery seems promising but who likes their head cut open? I wish there was a decision tree or flowchart
The folks at Mayo seem very capable of doing either treatment if I go that way but they don't publish any stats. I like everything I've read about the House Clinic and look forward to discussing with them. I'm also going back to meet with Mayo in a month to discuss further. Hopefully I listen better. I think I was was a bit shell shocked when I heard the treatment recommendation, even though there was more to it.
Thanks all for listening/reading. I really needed a place to vent a little as much as looking for answers. But, if anyone has any thoughts or similarities, I'd love to hear them.
Again, thanks for hosting this site.