Author Topic: Continuing therapy  (Read 1704 times)

thomasb

Continuing therapy
« on: June 14, 2019, 10:29:53 am »
Later this month I will celebrate four months sine my AN surgery. Sonce then I have had two months of speech therapy to help me with my eating, my swallowing, and how to get use to the facial changes. The later is the hardest. I currently in my third month of physical therapy where I work on my balance ( a daily struggle. I view myself as a little child learning to walk. I have a helper and he is my 14 month old grand son who is learning to walk. ) I also am working on my strength and endurance which seems to have greatly decreased with the surgery.

I am asking for suggestions on what o can do in these areas by myself because my therapy is going away. Do you have anything that you found beneficial that I could use?  Effort and dedication are no obstacle. 

Thank You for your suggestions. I pray every day for those who are suffering like we are.

Tom Bonczek

samanthalambert

Re: Continuing therapy
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2019, 08:23:23 am »
Hi Tom,
It sounds like you have been proactive in your recovery. Good for you! My surgeon's advice to me was "walk, walk, walk." Walking is the best medicine for the body to readjust to using one balance nerve. It takes time for the body to heal. Be kind to yourself and eat healthy and drink lots of water. I am 5 months post op and my face is coming back. I do gentle facial exercises that I found on the internet. I have a massage every once in a while. Rest when you're tired. Let me know how things go. Keeping you and all the AN warriors in my daily prayers.
3.2 cm AN (right side) diagnosed in 10/2018
Only symptom: mild hearing loss
TransLab surgery 1/2/19 @MUSC w/ Drs. Lambert & Patel. Sliver of tumor left.
Rt. Side facial paralysis (nerve stretched), tumor was "sticky", SSD, getting platinum weight implant 6/13/19
Doing fine otherwise!

jami

Re: Continuing therapy
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2019, 08:16:59 pm »
I echo the walk. My balance recovery was not nearly as tough as others, the tumor was growing on the balance nerve so it’s been fading over time and the other side has been secretly compensating.

That said, I walk 5 miles a day in various short walks, before and after work. And I also did easy yoga and stretches using an app called Aaptiv. Ten months after surgery and I am in better shape than I was before.

Many positive thoughts your way!
Jami
-----
5/17/18: 2.7 x 2.2 x 2.1cm
8/12/18 right retrosigmoid craniotomy @UNC
8/15/18: 1.0 x 0.4 x 0.4 cm
3/04/19: 1.0 x 0.8 x 0.5 cm
4/23/19 Cyber Knife treatment
10/23/19 0.7 x 0.3 x 0.8 cm