Author Topic: AN doctors for Gamma knife in Washington DC area?  (Read 3711 times)

Mtraven

AN doctors for Gamma knife in Washington DC area?
« on: May 04, 2019, 03:50:21 pm »
I am looking for recommendations for a team of doctors for Gamma knife radiation in the Washington DC area, near fairfax VA.

buzneg

March 1, 2018 - Hearing loss left side, acute vertigo
March 2, 2018 - MRI show 13 x 7 mm AN (probably growing)
May 2018 - ENT/audiologist indicate 100% hearing loss on left side is permanent
June 29, 2018 -  GK at Wake Forest in NC
Dec.2018 -  MRI shows zero growth
Jan.2020 MRI shows tumor shrinking

Mtraven

Re: AN doctors for Gamma knife in Washington DC area?
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 10:01:18 pm »
Thank you so much, I will look into it. I’m in Montana and we have VERY limited choices due to our small population.

buzneg

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2019, 09:43:23 am »
If you wanted to stay out west, Seattle and the SFO bay area would have gamma knife facilities at several hospitals.

Example:
https://neurosurgery.ucsf.edu/radiosurgery

https://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings/neurology-and-neurosurgery
March 1, 2018 - Hearing loss left side, acute vertigo
March 2, 2018 - MRI show 13 x 7 mm AN (probably growing)
May 2018 - ENT/audiologist indicate 100% hearing loss on left side is permanent
June 29, 2018 -  GK at Wake Forest in NC
Dec.2018 -  MRI shows zero growth
Jan.2020 MRI shows tumor shrinking

notaclone13

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2019, 07:56:10 pm »
Dr. Sheehan at University of Virginia is highly recommended by several of this  forum. If you enter Sheehan in the search box you can see their comments.

kestes

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2019, 08:38:43 am »
Yes I used Dr. Sheehan,  I had GK by him and I live in South Carolina.  If you read his resume, he has studied under the best doctors.  Dr. Lunsford performed the first GK procedure in Pittsburgh and Dr. Sheehan trained under him.  I had a great experience.  Also Dr. Sheehan is the only doctor I researched who actually put you to sleep to apply the headframe, under anesthesia for about 10 minutes.  The rest of the procedure you are awake.  I am 6 months out from GK there.  You can contact Dr. Sheehan office and mail him all your records and he will tell you whether he thinks you are a good candidate, etc.  I did everything by mail and never met him until the day before my procedure!  Another thing I like about him is I can email him anytime and he responds every single time.  He will have his nurse call me.  But I do appreciate the communication he provides!  Good luck!  and email me with any questions!  Kimberly 
12mm diagnosed Feb 2018
14mm at 6 mo MRI Aug 2018
tinnitus, high pitch hearing loss, balance issues
GK at UVA Dr Jason Sheehan Nov 2, 2018
MRI May 2019, slight swelling of AN but showing necrosis - experiencing vertigo issues
Columbia, South Carolina

Mtraven

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 10:08:43 pm »
Thank you so much! My daughter lives in Vienna VA and would like for me to come out there for the GK. She mentioned Inova in Fairfax, does anyone have any experience with this? I must admit that hearing about your dr. Is very encouraging. Thank you.

kestes

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 08:45:57 am »
Hi I know nothing about Inova - I myself lived in Fairfax for a while!  Small world.  Before choosing any doctor make sure they have experience with ACOUSTIC NEUROMAs and have done plenty of procedures.  For instance Dr Lunsford has treated over 2000 with Gamma Knife and I believe Sheehan has treated over 500 plus.   A local doctor here had only treated about 12.   Many people have Gamma Knife,  they have Gamma Knife right in my city that I live in, but I wanted specific experience with Gamma Knife for Acoustic Neuroma. 
12mm diagnosed Feb 2018
14mm at 6 mo MRI Aug 2018
tinnitus, high pitch hearing loss, balance issues
GK at UVA Dr Jason Sheehan Nov 2, 2018
MRI May 2019, slight swelling of AN but showing necrosis - experiencing vertigo issues
Columbia, South Carolina