Author Topic: exactly 6 mos. post op facial nerve problems  (Read 6273 times)

mdbrooks

exactly 6 mos. post op facial nerve problems
« on: November 22, 2006, 12:53:25 pm »
Hello all !  I hope everyone is doing great.

I had my tumor removed exactly 6 months ago.  I did lose my hearing in that ear permanently, and did have some temporary facial weakness.  My facial weakness had gotten better, and was only noticeable by me.  Now, for the past few weeks, my facial nerve is starting to feel tight again, and everytime I smile, that eye squints , whereas immediately post-op I couldn't even close my eye.  Every now and then I'll also have a jumping sensation underneath my eye along the top part of my cheek.  Is this normal to get better and then seemingly get worse before healing completely??  The docs told me that it should take between 6 to 12 months for it to completely heal; it's only been 6 months, so I know it's possible for it to keep healing.  I am also having alligator tears in that eye everytime I eat or drink something, in which I read was part of the healing process.   However, I just called my neurosurgeon and explained my latest sensations and they ordered an MRI next week.  It kind of worries me, but at the same time I think we're jumping the gun a little bit.  What does everyone think???  Will it get better or worse and do you think there's anything to worry about as far as the MRI goes??  What are your thoughts??

In the meantime I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving !!!

Cheryl R

Re: exactly 6 mos. post op facial nerve problems
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 01:07:41 pm »
Your eye shutting when you smile is called synkinesis and there are varying opinions on the cause of this.    I had heard that  as the nerve healed then it can sometimes cause the wrong muscles to work.    Another gal had her facial therapist say it was due to other nerves trying to help the nerve and then they over correct and cause the muscles to do this.          Not everyone gets this but many do.        You may find the website of interest     www.bellspalsy.ws     
You will most likely always have the crocodile tears once you have them.    It can be annoying.
                      Good luck in your recovery.                   Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: exactly 6 mos. post op facial nerve problems
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 04:25:03 pm »
hi there - maybe, since your facial nerve is still healing, you may go thru times of tightness, jumping, the synkenisis Cheryl said, but thank God there's movement.
If I start getting  movement back, (ANY movement), I'm going to a facial therapist.

If the synkenisis get's/is annoying, I'd look into therapies for it, even botox.

Continued healing,
nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis