Author Topic: GRACILIS MUSCLE TRANSPLANT  (Read 4242 times)

Sanderson

GRACILIS MUSCLE TRANSPLANT
« on: March 12, 2019, 08:31:40 pm »
GRACILIS MUSCLE TRANSPLANT—I’m considering this surgery. Has anyone out there had it? How is recovery? Is your ankle or top of foot numb? Can you smile? Would you do it again? Any information you can offer me would be greatly appreciated.
Sara
Acoustic Schwannoma surgery March 28, 2018
Sutter Medical Center in Sacramento
Deaf in left ear
Facial paralysis on left side
Balance is fine thanks to walking three energetic dogs everyday and yoga twice a week!

Kathleen_Mc

Re: GRACILIS MUSCLE TRANSPLANT
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 10:30:31 pm »
I had this done, along with others. I would do it again. I don't notice anything different in my leg however I also had the nerve that provides sensation to my outer foot removed and placed in my face so I can't really say. With all the surgeries I had done I have a better smile than I had, ain't perfect but it's there
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

Sanderson

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 09:50:16 pm »
Thank you for the reply. I really am not thrilled with the thought of having the surgery but i plan on doing it. I am going to be brave. I’m concerned about unknown side effects. I plan on the following: eyelid weight, facial sling, cross facial nerve graft with gracilis muscle implant. All sound horrible.

Is there anything I should question?

Sara
Sara
Acoustic Schwannoma surgery March 28, 2018
Sutter Medical Center in Sacramento
Deaf in left ear
Facial paralysis on left side
Balance is fine thanks to walking three energetic dogs everyday and yoga twice a week!

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 12:38:14 am »
I didn't get the weight, had all the others.
I would just wonder if the doctor had done all this in someone else and if he had pictures of before and after each procedure.
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)