Author Topic: Is the balance nerve cut?  (Read 17149 times)

HeidiC

Re: Is the balance nerve cut?
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2011, 10:31:25 am »
Thanks Wendy!
Diagnosed 6-24-11 left side AN 3mm x 3mm
33 years old at time of diagnosis
Mid Fossia surgery 10-06-2011
with Drs Adunka and Ewend at UNC.

hruss

• young and cheerful!
    • I made this group to help others!! (the group is in Bulgarian and in English)
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2011, 10:37:44 pm »
Heidi,

I just came across this thread and I am ready to answer, but I noticed that you would have a surgery in less that two days so I hope that you found the answers of your questions and now are prepared for the procedure. You will make it, girl!
Don't worry about the outcome, just stay positive. I had three surgeries in a year and the best thing that helped me overcome the great stress of revealing that there was another and another one after each of them was to stay positive.

All the best to you in the forthcoming challenge and I am looking forward to reading from you soon!

hrissy
4.5cm right AN pressing on the brain stem, dn Sept 2007
2 Retrosigm surgeries in Oct 2007 and Jan 2008 by the Bulgarian prof. Kyrkeselian partially removed.
3rd retro surgery in Hannover,Germany by prof Samii, Oct 2008. SSD
Got rid of my bugger, temp facial paresis
hrissysexperiences.blogspot.co

MissMolly

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2019, 09:14:23 am »
I am 10 years post AN surgery (mid fossa).  The neurosurgeon left a bit of the tumor as hearing preservation was important to me.  I lost all balance following surgery and needed physical/vestibular therapy.

After 10 years the tumor grew back.  I am having vertigo and balance issues again.  How could this have happened if the verstibular nerve was cut?  Trying to research this with my neurosurgeon who is looking up the surgical notes from my 2009 surgery.  It's very confusing and frustrating. 

Thanks. 
Diagnosed 3/09 1.1cm tumor - 4/17/09 - had grown to 1.2
Age 61 - married with three adult kids
MidFossa surgery completed June 22nd
Mass General/Mass Eye and Ear - Martuza and McKenna
The tumor has grown back.  Now working with Mass General.  Dr. Loeffler feels I am not a candidate for proton beam.

Surfer

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2019, 12:51:40 pm »
It's very alarming to find out we are going to lose any of our senses.  Have hope in regards to balance.  I surf, ride a motorcycle, skateboard, work on ladders and I am 59 years old. I am not as efficient, but very functional.  A 4.6 cm was removed three years ago.  It will be OK.
February 2016- 4.6 cm removed at Sloan Kettering NY by Dr. Gutin and Dr. Selesnick.  Residual left behind to preserve the facial nerve. Two year MRI indicates a shrinking of the residual. Three year MRI indicates no change in size.