Author Topic: New diagnosis, questions...and thank you!  (Read 1729 times)

Kittie1721

New diagnosis, questions...and thank you!
« on: March 01, 2019, 10:47:55 am »
Hello, about 7 months ago I started feeling like my ear was plugged, had a couple bouts of vertigo, have had testing with verified some hearing loss…and then tinnitus started 3 months ago.  I had an MRI two weeks ago and an 8mm AN was found.  It has really helped to be able to read how others have been affected, there choices, obstacles, wins and losses.  Thank you. 
I have laid awake thinking this buzzing, ringing and hissing was going to drive me nuts, now I am willing to take it for the rest of my life, if it means my pea sized pal stays pea-sized and I can watch and wait.  I have Kaiser, so will meet with their Neurology department next week, fingers crossed. 
I have a couple of questions:
1.   Other than leaving the tv on at night, what other devices help mask the ringing? (Going to try the Vitamin B – Thanks Bobster755)
2.   I read some take a small dose of aspirin, is this something that should be started now or after meeting with Neurologist?
3.   Is there a typical margin of sizes for W/W, Radiation or Surgery written anywhere?
Thank you again for sharing your knowledge, strategies and outcomes.  Your strength and positivity have really helped and eased some of my fear.
Kittie (60 years young)

golfguy49

Re: New diagnosis, questions...and thank you!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2019, 05:21:36 pm »
I found a couple of things intensify my tinnitus (I have the solid, high-pitched tone variety) - a shortened night of sleep and stress.  Both of these things make my tinnitus more evident to me, especially when the TV goes off and it's time to try and sleep again.  So I really try hard to get my 7-8 hours of sleep consistently and de-stress as much as I can at least 3 hours before bedtime.
March 2018: 10 x 5 x 5 mm AN diagnosed April 2018.  October 2018: 12 x 5 x 5 mm.  Considering surgery in early 2019.
October 2019: 14 x 5 x 5mm.  Surgery scheduled for late Jan 2020.
January 2020:  Surgery at NW Hospital in Chicago area done by Drs. Fishman and Brayton

sg_way

Re: New diagnosis, questions...and thank you!
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2019, 12:43:35 am »
1. There're some apps can help the, I use Relaxio, it's simple, free and you can set a timer.
2. Better ask the doctor since you're going to meet them next week, asprin is not for everyone.
3. It's depends on size, location, symptoms and age, in general, tumor >3cm isn't ideal for radiation, but again, your doctor will evaluate all the variable and give you a suggestion.

Are you with Kaiser North Cal or South Cal? I had my surgery performed by Dr. Cueva and Dr. Mastrodimos (San Diego) last November, amazing team, very skilled and have great sense of humor, I would recommend them to everyone.

Wayne