Author Topic: Is 70 too old to choose surgery?  (Read 3074 times)

Pbellovin

Is 70 too old to choose surgery?
« on: March 07, 2019, 06:24:04 pm »
I just turned 70, am in good health other than being diagnosed with an AN in October of 2018. My tumor measured 1.8 cm, so I chose the wait and see option. After 6 months Iam due for my second MRI and if it is time to choose a procedure, I’m leaning towards surgery. My imbalance is pretty bad and would like to have it corrected. Has anyone had surgery at around 70 and, if so, how was your experience and would you recommend surgery or radiation ?

notaclone13

Re: Is 70 too old to choose surgery?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 11:09:03 pm »
Check the posts by Abetpds, I believe she mentioned being 70.  She did not want to have surgery, but her tumor was too large for radio surgery. Perhaps you could send her a PM. She traveled to California for her surgery and had no problems.

gbkim86

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 01:30:30 am »
I’m just half 70. I would try to delay growth of the tumor as long as possible. basically keep WW, and do radiosurgery if it starts to grow.

GB
06/23/2018 - Diagnosed left, intracanalicular, 12.2 x 7.5 x 6.5
12/18/2018 - GTR by RS mircosurgery (Redwood City, CA)

William Worsley

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 04:38:16 pm »
I am 72 in good physical condition and just had a translabyrinthine craniotomy on March 26, 2019 to remove a 2.6 x 2.5 x 1.5 cm acoustic neuroma. My symptoms of increased tinnitus and decreased hearing in my left ear led to an ENT appointment on January 15, 2019.  A MRI without and with contrast confirmed the presence of the tumor and I was referred to the Hearing and Balance Center of Our Lady of the Lake Hospital here in Baton Rouge.  Prior to seeing the neurotologist at the H & B Ctr on Feb. 6th, I was very concerned about my age for surgery base on limited research I had done.  Dr. Arriaga assured me that he had done this type of surgery on patients up to 85.  The surgery was done as a team with a neurosurgeon as well.  I did not realize how bad my balance issues were until I began pre-surgery PT twelve days before surgery as part of the treatment process.  Here is a link to the four different exercises that I did prior to surgery:  https://www.my-exercise-code.com/index.php  Enter the exercise code: EWENMZE.  As the tumor is on the vestibular nerve, it will be cut during the surgery so there will be no balance input to your brain from that side.  These exercises train your brain to use the input from your opposite side to compensate for balance.  I went home two days after surgery, already doing the same PT exercises and walking just fine, if not better than before the surgery.  I was very fortunate to not have any facial nerve damage resulting in loss of facial muscle control.
As to surgery or radiation, Dr. Arriaga was very certain that surgery was the correct treatment for me and I certainly concur.  I resume my formal PT treatments in two weeks.  I could not have expected a better outcome.

MT

• Hoping to recover from facial palsy...
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 10:32:41 am »
Sorry if my reply is too late. But as a general rule, age as an absolute number is never a cause of concern. What matters is health of the patient and whether his/her body can go through the surgery. Your physicians should be able to give you best advice, and you guys can work towards making up the gap (i.e. treating health conditions if any and dieting (eating more to gain weight / strength to prepare body for the surgery, etc).

I know at least one old lady (granny of my friend) who had RS method to remove tumor. He is around 70 years of age, carries a decent body weight (or rather fat :)) and follows active lifestyle mostly doing her stuff herself. Her body responded really well to the surgery.

Hope this helps!
No symptoms except mild hearing loss
RS procedure on 26-Oct-18 (2.7 x 2.5 cm AN)
Deafness and facial palsy on right side
26-Feb-19 MRI showed 0.8 cm of leftover tumor
Slight movement on ~7-Jul-19 but mostly paralyzed

Full story:
https://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=24255.msg97977829