Author Topic: Post Op Hearing the TV  (Read 1592 times)

thomasb

Post Op Hearing the TV
« on: March 04, 2019, 11:30:45 am »
Now that surgery is done I am trying to rest by watching TV but I have found that hearing in my left ear is poor. Wil it take some time for me to adjust to hearing in my lefty year? Are there any devices which I might need to add to my TV which will help? Does anyone use wireless headphones to help?  Thanks

jami

Re: Post Op Hearing the TV
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 11:03:59 am »
Hi tomasb,

Isnt that the worst? And some shows/movies are even more difficult to hear. Of course, Closed Captioning helps when it is available.

Apple Air pods have something called Live Listen: "With Live Listen, your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch can act like a microphone that sends sound to your AirPods. Live Listen can help you hear a conversation in a noisy area or even hear someone speaking across the room."

I ended up purchasing something called Bose Hearphones, which also can control how/where you want to listen (in front of me, all around 360 degrees, for example). I can also control the background noise, how sensitive to be. When on a plane, turned down the background noise all the way and it was the same effect as the Bose QC35. When watching tv, i set it about +10 and can hear the tv, like a real person (its amazing!). BUT neither of those are cheap, the big drawback.

I think at your follow up appointment post surgery (MRI follow up maybe) they will talk to you about hearing options as well.

BY the way - hope the surgery went well and you are doing ok.

Jami
Jami
-----
5/17/18: 2.7 x 2.2 x 2.1cm
8/12/18 right retrosigmoid craniotomy @UNC
8/15/18: 1.0 x 0.4 x 0.4 cm
3/04/19: 1.0 x 0.8 x 0.5 cm
4/23/19 Cyber Knife treatment
10/23/19 0.7 x 0.3 x 0.8 cm