Author Topic: gracilis flap surgery  (Read 2967 times)

Sanderson

gracilis flap surgery
« on: February 09, 2019, 07:56:31 pm »
I’m looking into gracilis flap surgery or 12/7 nerve graft. I would love to hear recovery stories. I’m super concerned about my speaking ability with both surgeries. I’m a high school English teacher. I need to be able to speak clearly. It’s hard to walk around with a paralyzed face, but if I can’t speak clearly, I can’t teach.

How long was recovery—for real?

I tell my students “I’m smiling at you!”
Sara
Acoustic Schwannoma surgery March 28, 2018
Sutter Medical Center in Sacramento
Deaf in left ear
Facial paralysis on left side
Balance is fine thanks to walking three energetic dogs everyday and yoga twice a week!

Kathleen_Mc

Re: gracilis flap surgery
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 03:32:23 am »
Hi
I had the 7/12 many years ago, I continue to have issue's with speaking clearly at times.
Recovery.....I know I was off work for 6 weeks but frankly other than that I don't know what to say to that. !
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

Sanderson

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 10:27:21 pm »
Did you have trouble with your speech prior to the nerve graft?
Sara
Acoustic Schwannoma surgery March 28, 2018
Sutter Medical Center in Sacramento
Deaf in left ear
Facial paralysis on left side
Balance is fine thanks to walking three energetic dogs everyday and yoga twice a week!

alabamajane

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 01:53:01 pm »
Hi,
I too had the 7/12 graft in 2011. I had it 4 days after AN surgery. I agree that I still have issues speaking clearly. I speak like a pirate I like to say if that makes sense. I have good muscle tone on that side and no droop. To look at me you can’t tell I’m paralyzed on that side. Not until I smile or talk.
Personally,, i think you would be more satisfied with gracilis flap surgery for speech  from what I have read in the past on the forum. It was recommended to me even after I had the graft done.

Good luck,,
Jane
translab Oct 27, 2011
facial nerve graft Oct 31,2011, eyelid weight removed Oct 2013, eye closes well

BAHA surgery Oct. 2014, activated Dec. 26

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 02:08:49 am »
Sanderson:
I had difficulty with my speech since my initial surgery to remove the AN, I think it is better after all that I have had done....I can't remember if the 7-12 made it worse initially or not but I don't think so.
Kathleen
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)