Author Topic: CBD Oil Helped With Facial Nerve Pain  (Read 29895 times)

Airvtec

CBD Oil Helped With Facial Nerve Pain
« on: January 23, 2019, 06:34:29 pm »
Thought I share my experience with everyone.  Hopefully it will help someone out there with similar issues, to understand you are not the only one with these symptoms.  If you are more curious about my CBD oil experience, then scroll down.

I had gamma knife surgery in Jan of 2017 for my acoustic neuroma.  It was on the right side.  All the symptoms I will mention appears on the right hemisphere of my head.  After 6 months to a year, I developed a few symptoms, such as watery eye and runny nose when I eat.  It was bad enough that I must have tissue paper when I eat.  I constantly needed to wipe my eye, and blow my nose when eating.  I also experienced slight numbness around my upper lip where it meets the nostril.  Over time the numbness got better, not 100% but better.  The watery eye and runny nose thing is still a problem.

Then one day, I wasn't tasting much on the right half of my tongue.  On top of that, I was constantly having this tinny taste, and coldness on that half of the tongue.  I thought to myself, this has to be the worst symptom yet.  Unlike the other symptoms, this is felt every minute of the day.  A constant reminder that something is wrong.  After awhile, the tinny taste went away.  I got used to the lack of taste on the half of my tongue.  I adapted, and got used to it.  It became the norm.

Then on Nov 21, 2018 is when I got the first jolt.  The best way I can describe it is like an electrical shock to my face.  That pins and needles feeling when your limbs fall asleep, but times 20.  That feeling but in a sudden snap, jolt, and shock to the face.  Sometimes it felt like my face got hit by spritz of cold water.  There was no warning when the shock would happen.  At times the shock is strong enough to make me jolt in my seat.  Almost always cause me to flinch and shut my eye.  A month went by.  The surprise onset got replaced with predictable actions that will cause the shock.  When I started chewing, rubbing my face, pushing against the roof of my mouth with my tongue, and rinsing my mouth with water.  All these actions will cause tremendous pain.  The doctor said it is probably nerve pain.  Either deal with it or they can prescribe meds.  Weeks went by, and I started to learn to deal with the pain.  Try to avoid things that will cause it to flare up.

On Jan 15, 2019 I started taking CBD oil.  The reason why I started on CBD oil is for anxiety, stress, and help with sleep.  Nothing at all related to the acoustic neuroma, nor the symptoms I've been having.  To my surprise 3 days into the CBD oil, my nerve pain started to go away.  I am now 1 week in with the oil, and I'd say 98% of the nerve pain is gone.  I can chew, rub my face, rinse my mouth, and push with my tongue without any onset of the pain.  This is definitely a pleasant surprise.  I have also noticed the tinny taste is back on my tongue though.  Not sure if that is good or bad?  Hoping perhaps prolong use will help to get my taste back.  I am using 750 mg of THC free CBD oil.  I use 5 drops in the morning, and 5 drops at night.  I place it under my tongue for 1-2 minutes, then swallow.  Today (01-23-19) I increased to 6 drops in the morning, and 6 drops at night.  I am hoping the increased dosage will help with my tongue.

I am not advocating people to go try this.  I just wanted to share my personal experience.  Perhaps it can help others who might want to give it a try.  If I'm correct, CBD oil is legal in all 50 states.  I will report back at a later date with any progress.

MarlaB

• Administrator
Re: CBD Oil Helped With Facial Nerve Pain
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 07:07:42 pm »
Can I ask (or did I miss?) what state do you live in?

Airvtec

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2019, 11:29:58 pm »
I live in California.

JLR

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 05:36:36 am »
I too had severe pain on right side of face.  That was 5 years after radiation (CK). After a MRI it turned out to be Trigemial Neuraglia. Was in meds until that didn't work. 2 years ago I had surgery. Now I have a lot of complications.  Mostly synkensis.  I wonder if I tried that oil then would my surgery been cancelled.  My tumor was leaning on that TN nerve. Also one not heard of that oil. What exactly is it.  Continued good health and pain free to all my friends on this site.

Airvtec

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 02:06:21 pm »
Hi JLR,
I'm sorry to hear you had to go through all that pain.  I am not sure if my facial nerve pain is trigeminal neuralgia.  But after searching online, it sounds like I might have a mild case of it.  CBD oil is derived from the cannabis plant.  It doesn't contain the psychoactive ingredient THC.  Search for CBD oil on the internet.  You should get a lot of information about it.  Good luck!

JLR

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 05:50:33 am »
Thanks! TN is the worse. Of course I thought it was a problem in my nose. Off to the ENT. Then I thought problem with teeth. Off to dentist. Then finally the neurologist. Thanks again.

JD808

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2019, 05:24:37 pm »
I started taking CBD about a month prior to my Translab surgery last July, and I haven’t stopped since. I feel that it helped tremendously with the anxiety, inflammation, and pain. Today, I still use it in the hopes that the limited scientific research on CBD and it’s positive effect on slowing tumor growth is accurate. My surgeons had to leave 20% behind.
Diagnosed 1.5cm x .08cm x 1.1cm AN right ear 5/2018
Total hearing loss in right ear at 5/2018 and significant balance issues.
Translab surgery Friedman and Schwartz UCSD 7/18/18
80% tumor removal due to facial nerve adhesion
Balance issues solved, no facial nerve issues.

Patti

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 06:47:28 am »
I live in NYS and legally buy CBD oil. My facial nerve pain is unpredictable. I go months without it. But I do use the CBD oil with anxiety or headaches and it amazingly works.  I have it on hand for the next time the facial pain flares up. The problem is that though it is legal, it is very expensive. It was easy, but expensive, to get a medical marijuana card. I feel bad for people who can't afford to do this.
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015

lablove

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2019, 05:58:34 am »
Hi Airvtec,

With a runny nose, metallic /tinny taste in your mouth, I would want to talk to the surgeon if there's a possibility of CSF leak. Please rule that out if you haven't yet.

Thanks,
Colleen

Airvtec

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2019, 05:00:39 pm »
Hi Colleen,
Thanks.  What is CSF leak?

Regards,
John

lablove

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2019, 06:47:06 am »
Hello John,
Sorry I haven't been on the forum. CSF leak = cerebral spinal fluid.....the liquid surrounding our brain & spinal cord. CSF leak is a post surgical complication. I had one.
~Colleen

JD808

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2019, 12:52:28 pm »
I started using CBD oil about 2 months before my translab last year and haven’t stopped. I have noticed a difference in pain and anxiety and I am also hoping that it retards any regrowth as well.
Diagnosed 1.5cm x .08cm x 1.1cm AN right ear 5/2018
Total hearing loss in right ear at 5/2018 and significant balance issues.
Translab surgery Friedman and Schwartz UCSD 7/18/18
80% tumor removal due to facial nerve adhesion
Balance issues solved, no facial nerve issues.

anthill

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2019, 11:36:07 pm »

Airvtec and JB808

Would you share what brand and types (CBD mg / TCH mg) and their costs, please?

Thanks!
Ant

mwatto

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2022, 07:52:54 pm »
I agree with you re CBD I take full spectrum CBD and it definitely helps me. However my nerve pain turned out to be TMJ and a dental night guard (much as I dont like it) did help. Also TMJ exercises- oh and neck exercises make a big difference two. I do these daily. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeGOQfeYUuo
« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 11:15:32 pm by mwatto »
Michele
20 x19x14mm Cystic AN diagnosed Feb 2019. CK.
Mri 2019 shrinking: 18x17x13 mm.
Mri 2020 - no cysts visible stable.
MRI 2021 stable no change
MRI 2022 stable no change.
MRI 2023 Further reduction 12x12x10mm!! Hearing 85%
MRI 2024: No change AN or hearing

donjehle

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2023, 05:19:18 pm »
Thank you for your post, ChrisBowman, and welcome to the ANA Forums!  I look forward to seeing more posts by you in the future.
Burning Tongue, Loss of Hearing & Balance, and Tinnitus led to MRI. Very small AN found on 11/23/2021
While watching and waiting, lost significant hearing. WRS now at 12% (down from 100%). Was fitted with CROS system on 3/7/22.  Stable MRI on 7/29/22
No treatment yet.