Author Topic: Surgery after regrowth  (Read 2490 times)

Bomberman

Surgery after regrowth
« on: January 08, 2019, 10:44:51 am »
Hello, can anyone point me to doctors who have had done the most regrowth surgeries? My surgeon that I am meeting up with has done 502 AN surgeries and only 2 dozen are regrowths. I want to know the efficacy of regrowth surgeries if doctors have that info.

Thank you

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
Re: Surgery after regrowth
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 01:40:18 pm »
Hi Bomberman .....

I do not know any statistics on doctors who have done the most regrowth surgeries.  However, I went to Drs. Friedman/Schwartz (now both at UCSD) for my regrowth surgery with great results.  The two of them have done hundreds, probably thousands by now, of AN surgeries, but I have no idea how many of them were regrowth situations.  It would be easy to contact them or their patient navigator, Kris, to determine their stats.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Bomberman

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 01:29:05 am »
Thank you Clarice, I did speak to Kris before, I just shot her an email with the same question.

Godwin

v357139

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2019, 09:05:14 pm »
Hi Godwin.  Not sure if I spoke to you once.  Sorry for your news.  I think this may be hard info to come by.  But if you talk to a few doctors who have all done a high volume, and ask the same question, and compare the answers, you may get some insight on this.  Doctors at House also do very large volume, and that could be another place to ask the question.

Best of Luck,
Rich
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

Patti

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2019, 02:07:33 pm »
Hi Godwin-Doesn't that stink to have regrowth??? Just curious-how big was your first and then the regrowth? And how long in between? Patti
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015