Author Topic: Any experience with Prokera for very dry eye?  (Read 9582 times)

ad325

Any experience with Prokera for very dry eye?
« on: December 19, 2018, 10:53:56 am »
Hi All,
I am six weeks after surgery and I am suffering from very dry eye (the left one on AN side), really painful. I am visiting my ophthalmologist weekly because the different options (drops with steroids, xiidra drops, ointment, punt plug) didn't work. Dr said that my eyes are very sensitive. I know that they were like that before surgery but I had never had any problems. The winter here doesn't help. Now, he recommends Prokera, a therapeutic device that you wear for one week (put in and out by doctor) that helps with the healing process. I didn't want to do it before the holidays just in case I need to call doctor's office in a hurry. I will give it a try in January. I would like any comments that you can provide. I am so grateful for this forum, it keeps me going. All the best.
Translabyrinthine - 10/30/18
VP Shunt 11/2/18
Drs Friedman and Schwartz- UC San-Diego

Jill Marie

Re: Any experience with Prokera for very dry eye?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 04:29:19 pm »
I haven't heard of the Prokera but I looked it up on the internet and it sounds pretty good.  I use the Acuvue Oasys Hydraluxe daily contact lens, costs a dollar a day.  My eye was VERY dry and painful tell I started using the lens, I also use eye ointment, some people only use eye drops.  Feel free to ask questions, good luck Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

ad325

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 04:46:37 pm »
Jill,
Thank you for your information. After I wrote here I saw a post from another member about amniotic membrane. In her case it was use for healing a specific damage in her eye. I think my doctor is recommending it as an accelerator of the healing process. My eye is better now (with drops and ointment). One of the drops has steroids. I will need to stop those soon. My doctor is trying to find a treatment before using lens, but it is very comforting to know that they are an effective option. Going to the doctor next week, I will post after that. Thanks again and take care. 
VP Shunt 11/2/18

JLR

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 05:56:15 pm »
Hello All, I never heard of that treatment. I'm going to ask my doctor. Thanks.

ad325

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 10:29:13 am »
It is an amniotic membrane. I didn't understand when the doctor mentioned it to me. I finally didn't have it. I am lucky, my eye is getting better. I keep using drops during the day and ointment at night, but feeling I need less of them every day.
VP Shunt 11/2/18

Sparky1962

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 05:50:56 pm »
I still suffer from a dry eye almost three years after surgery. I have been using PRESERVATIVE FREE drops (important when using so many per day for an extended time) that were prescribed by my optometrist after surgery. They are called "Hylo" and "Hylo Gel" manufactured by Candor Vision in Germany. I live in Alberta, Canada and they are available at any pharmacy but are a little cheaper at Costco. They are a little expensive but sure work! The drops don't just coat the eye but are apparently absorbed by the eye. They last six months after opening but I use them 4-5 times a day so run out before then. The Gel kind is a little thicker and can cause some blurriness so I use them before bed and in the morning if I'm not doing any reading soon after and use the regular Hylo throughout the day. They are also compatible with contact lens.

Amz569

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 08:20:36 am »
@Sparky1962. I am in Saskatoon. Have you considered a scleral lens? It has changed my life.

I asked dr about prokera but he didn’t recommend it for me. I’m still looking to further improve my eye as it’s red ALL the time