Author Topic: Therapist want to do electrical stimulation of 7th nerve  (Read 3563 times)

MT

• Hoping to recover from facial palsy...
Therapist want to do electrical stimulation of 7th nerve
« on: December 17, 2018, 12:06:32 pm »
Hi,

On the subject, there is widespread material that does not recommend electrical stimulation. I would like to seek experience based advice of people similar to my condition:

* I am about 50 days post-op (details in the in my signature below) and right side of my face is paralyzed. It does not move at all (as in expressionless state).
* I do feel sensations specially while massaging.
* I exercise and massage twice daily for about 10 minutes or so.

Visits to therapists:
* First therapist I visited, said he will go for electronic stimulation. Since he did not do any examination to reach his conclusion, I was not satisfied and tried to find a therapist who has experience in 7th nerve.
* Today, after much research and recommendations, I found one therapist who was similar in approach as the first one (i.e. just asked basic questions, whether insurance or not, gave his conclusion that, "nerve is cut because paralyzed part is expressionless, however, having sensations is a good news", etc. but in the end, said we will go for electronic stimulation.
* This new therapist said he cannot give any probability about outcome whether it will be a success or failure (I know this is a legal statement as a "CYA Procedure" but made me wonder, am I speaking to the right guy)?

My surgeon said that nerve is intact, recovery will be spontaneous and will start showing signs in 4 to 6 months.

My question:
Please advise, should I go for electronic stimulation of nerve or just do what I am doing right now?

EDIT:
The type of elec sim he wants to do is "Trophic Electrical Stimulation"

Thank you.

PS:
CYA Procedure = Cover Your A$$
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 12:26:49 pm by MT »
No symptoms except mild hearing loss
RS procedure on 26-Oct-18 (2.7 x 2.5 cm AN)
Deafness and facial palsy on right side
26-Feb-19 MRI showed 0.8 cm of leftover tumor
Slight movement on ~7-Jul-19 but mostly paralyzed

Full story:
https://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=24255.msg97977829

rupert

Re: Therapist want to do electrical stimulation of 7th nerve
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 09:38:39 pm »
Were you sent to the therapist by your doctor?   Or did you just go see the therapist on your own.  Most on here seem to defer any kind of stimulation for a good period of time.  You can possibly do more harm than good with massage or electric.   If your doc said the nerve was intact you might want to hold off for a while.   I can’t help as far as experience with this but most seem to wait 6 months to a year before stimulation.   

MT

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 08:48:27 am »
Thanks a lot for response Rupert.

My surgeon did not recommend any therapist in particular and I have been looking for 'right' one based what I learned via forum or through Dr. Google. I met today a person who experienced Bell's palsy twice (40 and 52 years of age respectively). He said his experience was good with electrical stimulation and I should go for it, he also recommended taking vitamin B complex injections.

Full story:

Cheryl R

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 10:02:15 am »
The facial nerve is a very slow healer.      Massage is fine but patience and time is what is needed.      Many of us know how hard it is to be patient.    Stimulation can cause more damage than just waiting.     So give it time and see if any movement later.       I had my nerve severed and a graft immediately done.  Was told that should have some movement in 8 mos or so and was when started to work.     I can not move my eyebrow area but rest is fairly good.                          Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

MT

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 12:57:28 pm »
Thanks Cheryl.

Full story:

JLR

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 06:28:56 pm »
Hi I had acupuncture and the acupuncturist wanted to do e stim. I'm so glad I did not. My eye doctor told me it would cause more problems and could further damage the facial nerve. I even called my physical therapist I had after my surgery and she said she does do that on her stroke patients but it likely won't work on nerves that were damaged by surgery.

MT

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 09:16:33 am »
Thanks JLR. Much appreciate experience sharing. I have stopped going to these PTs who have no idea and only wish to charge my insurance. Just living my self-massages and exercises in front of mirror and vitamin B12 supplementation.

Full story: