Author Topic: Post-OP RS ant-crawling like sensation on paralysed part of face  (Read 4682 times)

MT

• Hoping to recover from facial palsy...
Post-OP RS ant-crawling like sensation on paralysed part of face
« on: December 02, 2018, 08:56:59 am »
Hi all,

I had AN surgery (RS approach) to remove 2.7cm tumor. Since the start of 3rd week post-op (until today), I  feel sensation in the paralyzed part of face. This sensation is like lots of ants crawling over the affected area and sensitivity is usually triggered by exercises/massage I do and increases as I continue. The feelings are calmed down only when I softly rub the area with a wet-warm cloth.

My question is "Is it something to worry about or is a sign of recovery/nerve repair?"

Current situation:
  • I am 1 month and 5 days since the RS surgery, and I have my 1st post-op appointment with surgeon in 2 months time from today.
  • I only do exercises and massage twice a day, once after waking up and once before going to bed.
  • I still cannot move right side of face (which was paralysed) including lifting the eye-brow and completely close eye-lid. Docs said it will improve over 4 to 6 months as my facial nerve was preserved during operation.
I hope this sensation is a sign of recovery but will appreciate if people can share their experience.

Thanks
No symptoms except mild hearing loss
RS procedure on 26-Oct-18 (2.7 x 2.5 cm AN)
Deafness and facial palsy on right side
26-Feb-19 MRI showed 0.8 cm of leftover tumor
Slight movement on ~7-Jul-19 but mostly paralyzed

Full story:
https://www.anausa.org/smf/index.php?topic=24255.msg97977829

Sanderson

Re: Post-OP RS ant-crawling like sensation on paralysed part of face
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 10:16:58 am »
I think it is a sign of recovery! Any feeling of any kind is a good thing! I would welcome the feeling of ants running over my face!

Make sure you are taking care of your eye with drops/ointment and walking and moving as much as possible to keep yourself in good shape. Yoga helped me recover my balance!

Keep us posted!

Sara
Acoustic Schwannoma surgery March 28, 2018
Sutter Medical Center in Sacramento
Deaf in left ear
Facial paralysis on left side
Balance is fine thanks to walking three energetic dogs everyday and yoga twice a week!

MT

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 07:59:14 pm »
Thanks Sanderson, appreciate your advice and I will keep forum posted.

I don't have balancing issues and plan to resume gym in 1 or 2 weeks from today -- my stamina has crashed to below earth levels. Only issues now are facial palsy and this malfunctioning "eye-lid" thing (due to palsy) which is irritating me to hell. I am doing my best to keep eye lubricated using drops and ointment. I hope to be out of this mess soon!

Full story:

Sanderson

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 07:36:32 pm »
The eye issue is very irritating. I often have ointment under my bad eye but my vision is at least protected.
Sara
Acoustic Schwannoma surgery March 28, 2018
Sutter Medical Center in Sacramento
Deaf in left ear
Facial paralysis on left side
Balance is fine thanks to walking three energetic dogs everyday and yoga twice a week!

v357139

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 08:30:33 pm »
MT,
I'm no expert but sensation sounds good and not bad.  Also, are you working with a facial rehab person?  They say Jackie Diels is the best.  I wish you best of luck.
Rich
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

Cindu

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 05:50:12 am »
Hi MT,

I have the same experience; ants crawling on the affected face upon massage.

Ive been researching about this but cant find any information. Only information i found is face tingling is related to nerve damage (for people with good facial function)

My tumour information:

Surgery to remove tumour (4.6cmx3cm), March 10, 2019
Facial nerve schwannoma
Did Gamma Knife in Nov 2018
Facial paralysis started in Jan 2019
Left facial paralysis, eyelid can close up to 80%

My neurosurgeon said he preserved all nerves, but he thinks my facial paralysis is likely permanent since it has been paralysed 2 months before the surgery. But he suggested waiting for 3 months after op (to see if there’s any miracle?).

My eyelid closure had improvement these 2 weeks....yesterday it managed to close 100% for 2 seconds!!!

MT

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2019, 01:38:44 pm »
Hi Cindu, happy to read about your eye. My palsy is still the same as on the day I left hospital. Friends and relatives tell me that my face has shown significant improvement (in terms of appearance, ability to talk, specially pronounce words with P, F and V). I used vitamin B complex for 45 days so not sure this improvement is time related or supplementation related or both.

My status:
i) my smile is half-faced,
ii) eye does closes only 80% and does not function normally (e.g. in sunlight, I have to close affected eye with hand as it always remain wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide open.
iii) HB scale 3.5 (it's neither 3 nor 4) {self assessed}

Good luck with your recovery. All the best!

Full story: