Author Topic: Has anyone tried the new bone anchored device called ADHEAR?  (Read 4580 times)

Cynaburst

Has anyone tried the new bone anchored device called ADHEAR?
« on: November 16, 2018, 03:15:58 pm »
Yesterday I leaned about a new hearing device for SSD called the "ADHEAR."  This is like a BAHA but it doesn't require an operation to implant a screw. It sticks to the mastoid bone with adhesive, and then a processor snaps on that.  The adhesive is supposed to last for close to a week, and you can shower, swim, etc. with it.

I am thinking of trying it out. It doesn't have to be fit to you specifically.

I have been wearing a Transear for close to 15 years, and while it is better than nothing, I am excited by the prospect.  Anyone have any experience?

Tamster

Re: Has anyone tried the new bone anchored device called ADHEAR?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2018, 04:04:21 pm »
I do!  I've had mine for 24 days and I love it. I decided early on that I did not want another surgical procedure. I tried the Soundbite when it came out, and although it worked, it was also a bit of a hassle and eventually I stopped using it, even before the company declared bankruptcy.  Med-El, the company that has produced the ADHEAR is a well-established company with a history of creating cochlear devices. The ADHEAR has been used for two years in Europe and only became available in the United States in September, after it received FDA approval.
I am happy to answer any questions about my experience.  So far, I have no regrets.

Tamster
6mm AN left side, diagnosed Sept 22, 2009
Middle Fossa  December 8th 2009,  Drs. Brackmann and Schwartz.
Facial nerve preserved, tumor out, SSD. tinnitus.

Life isn't t about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning how to dance in the rain.

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/Tamst

Cynaburst

Re: Has anyone tried the new bone anchored device called ADHEAR?
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 12:30:01 pm »
Hi Tamster,

Thank you so much for answering.  I have written to you privately as well.  The thing that I am most concerned about is whether the adhesive portion causes any skin irritation.  I am very sensitive. Otherwise, it sounds like a great option for me. 

I have been SSD for 17 years. I got the Transear after a few years, and then I had it upgraded a few years later to the latest technology. It is better than nothing, but I find that I don't wear it that much cause it can cause discomfort.  I have a heart condition also, so any hearing option that requires surgery is probably not for me either.  I especially could not have a BAHA or another device which requires having a post implanted into the skull.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 12:34:30 pm by Cynaburst »