I was diagnosed with AN two days before Thanksgiving. I am a 45 year old married male. The tumor is 3mm x 7mm. The doctor advises surgery is not mandatory at this time, but the only way to potentially retain the remaining hearing in my right ear. The percentages proposed were 60% retention of remaining hearing vs. 40% total loss during surgery itself. I was led to believe that monitoring may be sufficient to avoid surgery, but would eventually result it total hearing loss over an unknown time. Do the percentages sound correct? I presently have mild balance issues as well. If I go the surgical route now to try to preserve remaining hearing, knowing the chances are only 60%, is the pain and recovery worth it? What was your post surgical experience? I am weighing risks vs rewards and not maintaining my normal objectivity very well. I have had three hernia repairs, sinus surgery, my gall bladder removed, and was carbon monoxide poisoned. I am trying to compare the experience if feasible.