Author Topic: HRT and Tumor Growth? (For women here)  (Read 2668 times)

Ellen K

HRT and Tumor Growth? (For women here)
« on: October 11, 2018, 05:59:56 am »
Hi All - I am W&W for a small tumor (3mm) that has only grown 1mm in 7 years. Yeah! But I am in my early 50s and started hormone replacement therapy, at a low dose, two weeks ago. Since then, my AN has been really bothering me. Where usually I don't "feel" it, I have been having ear fullness and pain. Last night I upped the estrogen portion of HRT per doctor's orders, and woke up with vertigo. I'm really worried that the treatment may be causing tumor growth. I looked over some old posts here but didn't see that anyone had an answer to this specific question. I'll ask my doctor, but would love to know if others have had this issue, or read any studies about it. THANK YOU.  And if you are also going through menopause, you have my deepest sympathy. :)
3mm diagnosed December 2010 when I was 45. Very unusual presentation - severe vertigo, then dizziness daily, now just occasional dizziness, but it can be debilitating some days. No hearing loss! But yes to ear fullness and wonky brain. Watch and wait.

Patti

Re: HRT and Tumor Growth? (For women here)
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 06:47:33 am »
I would love to know the answer!  I am 56 and am considering HRT.  Patti
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015

Zan

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 09:53:33 am »
I am also curious. I had a slightly different tumor (hemangioma) removed ast year. I also just started on HRT and have noticed more ear fullness and facial numbness. I wonder if it is an inflammatory response to the hormones.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 09:12:49 am »
For what it is worth, I have been on HRT for many years with no tumor regrowth since my 2011 surgical removal of my AN.

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011