Author Topic: Clonazepam and Tinnitus  (Read 9262 times)

notaclone13

Clonazepam and Tinnitus
« on: September 16, 2018, 08:27:35 am »
For those of you greatly bothered by tinnitus I came across this info on the tinnitus talk forum:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22626945. Appears there was a clinical trial that showed clonazepam helps with tinnitus. In addition, because it is a vestibular suppressant, it also helps with dizziness and vertigo. Yes it is a benzodiazepine and yes it does cause dependence. But, if you need a drug to function, you need it. As my doctor told me, if you needed insulin to function, would you hesitate to take it?  The 0.5 mgs of clonazepam used for the clinical trial is a very low dose. I find 0.5 mgs daily helps with the dizziness and vertigo.

kkc

Re: Clonazepam and Tinnitus
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 08:36:22 pm »
Have you found that it helps with tinnitus?

notaclone13

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 08:16:47 am »
I am not in a good position to judge whether it helps with tinnitus in my case because I was taking it for a different medical condition prior to the discovery of the AN. Most of the time I can tolerate the tinittus, but I do get spikes of louder tinnitus now and then that are bothersome. I am trying to figure out (and avoid) the triggers that cause my tinnitus to ramp up. I know caffeine makes it worse, as does alcohol and some spices. I am suspecting turmeric makes it worse but since that seems to provide some relief for my chronic back pain, I hesitate to stop taking it. I think one would just have to try it to see if it helps. It is sedating, so best to take it at night. But since it has a long half life, the effects should last into the day.

kkc

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 08:41:46 pm »
Thanks for your response!

mwatto

Michele
20 x19x14mm Cystic AN diagnosed Feb 2019. CK.
Mri 2019 shrinking: 18x17x13 mm.
Mri 2020 - no cysts visible stable.
MRI 2021 stable no change
MRI 2022 stable no change.
MRI 2023 Further reduction 12x12x10mm!! Hearing 85%
MRI 2024: No change AN or hearing

notaclone13

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2020, 01:46:42 pm »
I have taken a small dose (0.25 mg) of clonazepam daily on and off for years. I take it because it has been proven to help with symptoms of mitral valve prolapse syndrome, aka dysautonomia, which I was diagnosed with in 1988. The dose I take is considered very low. You have to taper off of it when you want to discontinue, but I have done that several times through the years with no problem. When I had a bad bout of vertigo a few years back, I discovered that clonazepam, like it’s cousin Valium, is a good vestibular suppressant and it helped me cope with my dizziness. A couple of weeks ago, out of curiosity, I started tapering off to see how I could do without it. After a few days at 0.125 mg. half my regular dose, I noticed an increase in feelings of wonky head and imbalance. I went back to my regular amount and it improved. When it comes to dealing with ANs, my philosophy is anything that helps you function more normally without major detrimental effects is a good thing.