Author Topic: if you could choose...  (Read 3342 times)

nomad9988

if you could choose...
« on: August 10, 2018, 12:04:10 pm »
Is there anyone one or team doctors that no matter their location, is considered the best of the best? Kind of subjective, but just curious if there is.

notaclone13

Re: if you could choose...
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 05:00:34 pm »
From what most people post on the forum, House in LA is the AN surgical dream team. They tackle the most difficult cases and appear to have the best outcomes.

JD808

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 09:53:47 pm »
I interview the House team and the Dream team of Friedman and Schwartz at UCSD and ultimately chose Friedman and Schwartz because I felt most comfortable with them, their facilities were state of the art and modern, and Dr. Schwartz is second to none with his level of experience dealing with AN’s. They are considered the Dream Team for good reason.
Diagnosed 1.5cm x .08cm x 1.1cm AN right ear 5/2018
Total hearing loss in right ear at 5/2018 and significant balance issues.
Translab surgery Friedman and Schwartz UCSD 7/18/18
80% tumor removal due to facial nerve adhesion
Balance issues solved, no facial nerve issues.

notaclone13

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 07:24:08 am »
I forgot that Friedman and Schwartz left House, but when I mentioned the dream team that is who I meant. They are definitely considered the best based on forum posts.

Catherinerobertson

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 06:22:01 pm »
I’m in contact with dr Friedman and dr Schwartz now to schedule surgery. Working on insurance approval at the moment since I’m out of state. My major concern is flying after. Has anyone who flew out to them had issues due to flying? I know they require you to stay at least 10 days in the area but I still am curious. Thank you!
Catherine

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 05:36:57 am »
Hi Catherinerobertson .....

I had no problem flying home (across the entire US) following surgery in CA, other than extreme fatigue due to weather-related flight delays.  Within a couple of days I was fine and fully rested.  I did wrap a clean, pretty scarf around my head to ward off any potentially germy headrests in the airplane so had no issues with that.  My husband was with me so I had an arm to lean on when needed for balance, but otherwise I was fully independent.

Best wishes.  Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

JD808

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2018, 09:58:55 pm »
Catherine, as noted above, I had surgery with Friedman and Schwartz and flew home after 12 days to Hawaii. You will notice some difficulty on landing with clearing your ears. It’s not recommended to hold your nose and blow. I just use the yawn technique and it eventually cleared after we were on the ground. Definitely worth it to use miles or otherwise upgrade to business or First Class for the return flight in my opinion. Another good idea is to bring along a neck pillow you like to rest your head on as it is likely to be uncomfortable putting any pressure on the area around your incision.
Diagnosed 1.5cm x .08cm x 1.1cm AN right ear 5/2018
Total hearing loss in right ear at 5/2018 and significant balance issues.
Translab surgery Friedman and Schwartz UCSD 7/18/18
80% tumor removal due to facial nerve adhesion
Balance issues solved, no facial nerve issues.