Author Topic: 6 weeks more or less back to work??? Teacher 2nd Grade  (Read 2404 times)

Andrea Ortega

6 weeks more or less back to work??? Teacher 2nd Grade
« on: July 21, 2018, 08:20:28 pm »
My doctor said I should plan on being out for at least 6 weeks from work. I am a second grade teacher. I have a 3cm tumor surgically removing by getting hollowed-out not taking the whole thing. This happens two days after school starts. is it likely that I will be able to teach six weeks after or should I suggest a long-term sub that can carry on through Thanksgiving, Christmas, or even beyond?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 08:22:22 pm by Andrea Ortega »

Patti

Re: 6 weeks more or less back to work??? Teacher 2nd Grade
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 01:17:01 pm »
I was a seventh grade science teacher.  My tumor was bigger and became problematic.  I can not see a teacher being able to go back to work for 6 months. Your brain has to heal and you have to adjust to hearing and balance issues.  Mine was not a typical experience, so don't go by my story.  But definitely don't go back into the classroom until January.  Surgeons love to say 6 weeks because they think they can make you all better.  They can not relate to the things you will feel and the stimulation of a classroom and a a whole school.  Be kind to yourself!  Patti
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015

Andrea Ortega

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 06:22:04 pm »
Thank you!

SueLL

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 11:23:45 am »
Hi Andrea - I think it all depends!  I teach at the college level, so I had similar concerns.  My surgeon said the typical 4-6 week recovery, and I built in 8 weeks.  He mentioned that he had an experience with a kindergarten teacher who had more difficulties adjusting to the classroom just due to the noise and confusion related to that age group.  Today is 5 weeks post surgery, and I feel as though I could return to work.  My neck is stiff when I wake up, and my surgeon doesn't want me to full-out exercise or bend straight over.  I require more sleep than pre-surgery, and I will have to adjust for increased hearing loss.  I am not 100% yet, but I can have a normal day - cook, go shopping, work around house, work on computer, etc.

If you read these boards you will find people driving and returning to work after two weeks and others who still have serious issues after six months. 

Good luck!  Sue
Diagnosed with 1.3 x 1.2 x 1.3 mm right side AN – September 2013; Gamma Knife at UPMC July 2014; Retrosigmoid surgery at Tufts Medical Center June 2018 to remove 2.0 x 1.8 mm tumor

Abetpds

Some tumor left on facial nerve
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2018, 03:15:15 pm »
I had surgery with Friedman and Schwartz at UCSD on June 26th and was told that a small portion was left on the facial nerve.  For others who had this, how long did it take before you had to take action --- either re surgery or GK? I am 70 years old and am not too keen to do anything else after this surgery. 
Also, I was under the impression that CSF leaks happen with 3 weeks after surgery, but I've read some posts where they occured months after.  It's  a month now after surgery. Can I begin to bend and lift things? I still have headaches which is managable except for those stabbing ones that feel like an electric shock - that comes with no warning - but lasts  a short time. When they do come they are horrible.
Thanks
Regina

Patti

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 02:18:57 pm »
Oh Regina, I have gotten those shocks without warning! They are scary!
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015

Sanderson

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2018, 04:03:15 pm »
I was told the same thing about returning to my classroom. My surgery was March 28, during Spring Break. My facial nerve was affected. I ended up taking off the remaining semester. Had my nerve been left intact, I would have happily returned but would have been more tired than usual. It was hard to stay home but necessary for rest and recuperation. I was in good shape before the surgery—lots of yoga and walking. I returned back to yoga after a month, which helped me with my balance.
Sara
Acoustic Schwannoma surgery March 28, 2018
Sutter Medical Center in Sacramento
Deaf in left ear
Facial paralysis on left side
Balance is fine thanks to walking three energetic dogs everyday and yoga twice a week!

ColleenS

• I have learned to watch birds and smell the roses.
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2018, 03:55:57 pm »
I also work and teach at the university level. I went back at 8 weeks. My main issue was brain fog. I really needed another month, but I made it. I still have some short-term memory issues. I am not sure they will ever get any better than it is now  ::)
5/2/17 @ Vanderbilt Translab approach with Drs. Haynes & Chambless
Readmitted on 5/7/17 for CFL, lumbar drain; CFL repair surgery
10/18 5 Radiation treatments for tumor regrowth
3/19 Pain, swelling, facial paralysis
5/19 Facial paralysis, numbness
10/21 Mild facial paralysis still