Author Topic: Acoustic Neuroma and concussion  (Read 2140 times)

robertweeks

Acoustic Neuroma and concussion
« on: June 18, 2018, 01:05:00 pm »
Greetings All,

I had retrosigmoid surgery on the right side in July, 2015.  I have had continuing symptoms of minor facial droop, balance issues, bobble- or foggy-headedness, and intermittent vertigo ever since the surgery.  None of what I have encountered is different from anything that was included in the list of possible side effects of the surgery by the surgeons.  I am not looking for sympathy for the ongoing nature of these issues.  I had a new question come up recently in a visit with my neurologist that had never occurred to me before.  So, I wondered if anyone else has had similar experience, or may have seen a pattern in this. 

I had a concussion in January of 2013.  I was told it was minor and the symptoms would go away shortly.  Indeed, from the fall, I was more concerned about my back than my head at the time.  But what I found was that I had ongoing concussion symptoms for about eight months following the concussion, and then the symptoms went away.  My neurologist, in discussing my neuroma surgery and ongoing symptoms, recently told me that my description of the symptoms sounded like post-concussive syndrome.

This has made me wonder if there is or may be a relationship between a prior history of concussion and post-surgery ongoing issues with bobble-headedness (or what ANA has scientifically labeled as Wonkie Head).  Is it possible that the trauma of the surgery has reinstigated my concussion symptoms or, perhaps, acted in effect as another concussion with resulting persistent symptoms?  I don't know if this question has ever been examined before, but, if so, could certainly be useful for those considering surgery.  So, I am interested to know if others with long term post surgery symptoms might also have a prior history of concussion.

Thank you very much for your time and input. 

robertweeks

Re: Acoustic Neuroma and concussion
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 01:09:15 pm »
And I should be clear, if I wasn't, that I am concerned about this primarily in relation to the ongoing wonkie head.  Other symptoms I would doubt are related to concussion. 

ANSydney

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 05:39:31 pm »
Speaking of concussion, I wonder if this could trigger the tumor to start. I had a blow to the right side of my head when I fainted while going to he toilet on night. I hit my head on the square edged tile corner of the bath just behind the ear. My tumor is on the right side.

robertweeks

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2018, 03:20:47 pm »
I would say that certainly sounds suspicious, but, in my case, I've been told that the neuroma takes a long time to grow to the point where it becomes large enough to interfere with hearing and balance.  My concussion was only 2 1/2 years prior to my surgery and only one year prior to onset of symptoms of the NA, so I doubt it would be related, unless I am mistaken about how quick the tumor may grow. 

ANSydney

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 04:58:35 pm »
My head impact was seven years ago (Jun 15 2011). My symptom of hearing loss was 2.5 years after the impact (Jan 16 2014). My first (and diagnostic MRI) was 5.2 years after impact (August 2016), which was 1.8 years ago.

Google gompertzian curve of tumor growth to get an idea of the growth profile. It takes off and then levels off. None of them have specific timing, but perhaps tumors get big enough after only one year to start causing symptoms. How big was your tumor at diagnosis and surgery?