Author Topic: 2 weeks before surgery  (Read 8398 times)

MES

2 weeks before surgery
« on: November 19, 2006, 09:46:23 am »
Freaking out is the word for the next 2 weeks. Trying to keep it to gether but having a hard time. I have hearing loss, tinnitus and small problem with balance. I have a small tumor. I'm having my surgery at Albany Med. In Albany, NY. It has been nice reading the postive things and some times not so nice reading the others, but all has been helpfully. I just want to thank you all for taken time to post, because it does help others to hear from you. Hoping all turns out well for everyone
 :D.

Obita

Re: 2 weeks before surgery
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 10:01:01 am »
Hello MES:

I did all my freaking out before surgery was scheduled.  Once I had decided on surgery and the date was set, I was very calm for some reason.  I wish the same for you the next two weeks.

Best of luck to you,  Kathy

Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

Battyp

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 02:15:21 pm »
You're freaking out trying to figure out how you're going to get all the things done before surgery!  Ok, so that's what I did.  I couldn't go into surgery with dirty floors  LOL  Just remember to take a deep breath, trust your decision and if you believe in a higher power turn it over to him.  Keep us posted on how you do!  We're with you!

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 08:19:28 am »
I can totally relate.  I spent the weeks before my surgery nesting big-time - cleaning out closets, cooking for the freezer, getting the kids ready for back-to-school, checking off all those little things that had been on the to-do list forever...   ;)

I think that was how I handled the stress.  And if I kept myself busy, I didn't think about it as much.  But have confidence in the treatment decisions you've made, and know you're doing the right thing for you.  That's what got me through the tough wait.

Good luck!
Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 10:01:53 am »
Nutso here does things ass-backward.  I thought nothing of the surgery, thought it would be a breeze (remember, I didn't have a computer, nor did I know about this forum!!).  Did no cooking/freezing, had just a few things in the fridge - boy was I surprised post op!!!   A month later I had the eye surg, gold weight, etc - & I cooked enough meatballs, sausages, etc. to feed an army!!!!
 Definitely do as I say, not as I do - have your home in order, cleaned, lots of food, drinks in the fridge, someone to help you!!

Best wishes, Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 04:40:06 pm »
Yes, indeed, nesting is a good way to expend that nervous energy.  I had a panic attack at the 2 week mark, but by a week before I was ready.  It's scary, yes, but believe me, it's totally do-able.  I hope that you are lucky and have a strong network of family and friends in this time, I think it is they who can help you in conjuction with reality checks here.  Good luck, we'll all be thinking of you here!!!!!
3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

MES

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 02:21:05 pm »
It is one week after surgery and things are going well. Hearing is up and down so not sure where that will be, but so far doing well. A bit of double vission the other day but so far that is the only bad thing. Taking it one day at a time and glad to be here.

rebarman

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 02:30:59 pm »
Good to know that you are on the other side and doing well. I'm still about 5 weeks away from having my surgery. Freezer is half full so far of meals, the house can go a little longer. That's what "Rent-A-Maid" is for.    :)

Keep us posted on how your days go.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 02:34:17 pm by rebarman »
1.5cm x 1.4 cm AN on left side
Removed by Translab on Jan 29, 2007
Dr. Mattox & Dr. Olson @ Emory Univ. Hosp.

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2006, 04:54:48 pm »
Hi

I only had CK last Friday and things are backing-up here.  I talked on the phone with Cheryl about that.  Everything takes time.  Actually, I have alittle more energy today.  Cheryl is right!  Let what you can go and hopefully you can get help with thing around the house.  My house is a mess already and I will be a week out, tomorrow.  I'm doing better.  It all takes time, I guess.  We are thinking of you.

Take care,

Palace
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

dieselducy

• dieselducy is a REAL live train engine!!
    • This is my silly website!
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2006, 05:26:37 pm »
I am so happy to hear about your success, keep us posted.  I have  STILL not been to the doctor as i am afraid i have bilateral ANs (self diagnosed)
dieselducy is a REAL live train engine!!

http://dieselducy.com

Battyp

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2006, 08:58:41 pm »
any word on mes yet?

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2006, 10:56:51 pm »

That's a thought Batty, hope everything went okay.

As they say, No news is good news !!
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis