Author Topic: Head / Clicking Noises on AN side  (Read 21333 times)

gohmnyc

Head / Clicking Noises on AN side
« on: November 18, 2006, 12:59:20 pm »
Hi,

I am 5wks post-op (middle fossa).  Two weeks ago, I started hearing clicking noises on the AN side, at the surgery site.  The sound seems like it's not from my ear.  The clicking sound comes and goes.  It's not that bothersome since it is not loud.  Has anyone else experienced this?  And does anyone know what this sound is coming from??  I'm not really worried about it but just curious.

Thanks for your feedback.

Jini

38yr old female
1cm AN, left side
Diagnosis: 9/25/06 in NYC
Date of surgery:  10/12/06
HEI, Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Hitselberger

Current status: mild imbalance, mild clicking noises at surgery area, no hearing loss, no facial nerve loss

matti

Re: Head / Clicking Noises on AN side
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2006, 02:54:05 pm »
I also had middle fossa and experienced what sounded like a drip/click. Mine started 2 weeks after surgery and lasted for about 2 months. I noticed it more while laying down and I could not pin point where the sound was coming from. I never got answer from my doctor as to what it was ???

It is always good to run it by your doctor and see what he/she thinks. I'm still curious, so if you find out, please let me know.

cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

lmurray69

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 08:07:52 pm »
I am 19 days sence surgery and I noticed when i was still bandaged that i thougt they left a fly in there.. it is there and when I try and sleep it loud..I had translab
radiation feb 05, gammaknife, tumor is 1.2x0.08/ surgery Nov 1st 2006 Dr House/Swarts/

kat

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 07:22:02 am »
Hi everyone

I had Gk 18 months ago and I have had intermittent metallic clicking sounds on the side of my AN for the last 3 years as well as the usual tinnitus . The clicking sounds have become more frequent since GK . I also noticed that my tinnitus got much louder after 
fllying  but has since returned to normal . I am to have my yearly MRI in early December and will find out what my tumour is doing then. I have no reason to believe that it has grown but I will keep my fingers crossed all the same .

Regards to all Kat
2.2 cm AN diagnosed July 2004 . GK at  the Royal Hallamshire
Sheffield UK in April 2005 2nd MRI in December 06 showed signs of the AN shrinking and MRI in FEB 08 showed no change . SO FAR SO GOOD .

Palace

• Palace
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 09:56:36 am »
Hello,

I'm sorry to say, I too.......have "head-clicking" on the AN side.  I hope it won't get louder after CK by the end of next week.  I got one of those radio's with the time that shines on the ceiling.  It has those sounds to *rock* you to sleep, in other words.....keep background noise out if possible.  You know, the choices are, summer sounds, rain, ocean, rain-forest, thunder and waterfall.  It helps somewhat.  Some of you might want to try it or maybe you have that already.

Palace
22 mm Acoustic Neuroma (right side)
Cyberknife, Nov. & Dec. 2006
Dr. Iris Gibbs & Dr. Blevins @ Stanford
single sided deafness

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 10:17:46 am »
Yup, had the 'clicking noise', also, usually when laying down.  Can't remember how long it lasted, haven't had it fo awhile.  I'm 5 months post op.
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Quailruner

• Kung Pow that AN thing
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 03:13:20 pm »
I too have that clicking noise, some days worse than others.
I am hoping surgery will get rid of that cricket clicker. :)

Kenn A.
Kenn A. (Peoria AZ)
1.2 x .9 CM AN Right Side
Surgery on 19 Dec 2006 (Middle Fossa)
House Ear Clinic, Los Angles CA
Dr. Brackmann & Dr. Hitselberger

ixta

• grade 4 left AN
    • Killkuato Acoustic Dx and Tx
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2006, 03:18:33 pm »
i have clicking noises pre-op-not post-like the tumor is releasing pressure-or perhaps "eating" :o
5cm left AN from IAC to cerebellum/brainstem.
Zapped out by Shahinian @ SBI over the course of 6.5 hrs on Monday 11/27 2006.
thestatus.com   h   biologyfly06

gohmnyc

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2006, 11:34:27 pm »
Hi All,

I completely forgot I even wrote this post.  I haven't been online since.  Thanks for the replies.
I don't have the clicking sounds anymore.  It really seemed like it was coming for the surgery area.  Is it from the bones grafting together or the screws adjusting to the skull more?  I never experienced the clicking pre-op.  I did ask a nurse about it and all she told me was that it was common. 

38yr old female
1cm AN, left side
Diagnosis: 9/25/06 in NYC
Date of surgery:  10/12/06
HEI, Dr. Brackmann and Dr. Hitselberger

Current status: mild imbalance, mild clicking noises at surgery area, no hearing loss, no facial nerve loss

maarten

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 05:31:25 pm »
I had no idea what to imagine about clicking noises. Until 2 weeks ago. I noticed that when i move my head, I have a clicking sound myself on the AN side only. It is clearly audible, also for other people in the room, and it sounds like some mechanical click or the sound of 'clicking' a medication tablet from a strip of pills. Hmm. Had no such thing before surgery. Maybe the plate is falling off my skull haha. Not sure what it can be, but not a major bother to me.

vcschaub

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 02:50:14 pm »
I had small clicking sounds in the first two months after surgery. It was not every day and just one or two at a time. The good news is that each time it happened, my ear seemed less full. I associated it with the post surgery feeling of ear fullness fading away.
6mm
Middle Fossa November 8, 2005
Drs Brackmann and Hitselberger
House Ear

Madelyn_Beltz

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2007, 09:34:11 pm »
I had a small tick noise I noticed maybe 6 months after surgery until maybe 18 months after surgery.  (Hard to tell since it was about 22 years ago.  I imagined it was fluid in the ear that moved as I walked--as it only occured as I walked.  I had hydrocephalus (excess water in the brain), and it took about that amount of time for it to get back to normal.
4-5 cm tumor removed Jan. 1985 in Ann Arbor, MI (suboccipital approach)
Left side nerves severed:  balance, hearing, facial
Tongue to facial nerve operation Feb. 1987 by House Inst. in Los Angeles
Eyelid spring implanted July 2006 by Dr. Levine in Los Angeles.

Mari

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2007, 10:21:04 am »

Hey to all,
Okay I have that mysterious clicking but I am totally deaf on that side. The doc says the only thing he could call it is phantum (spelling?) hearing, similiar to those who lose a limb still feel like they are having pain in that limb.  lI'm 7 years post-op. I have also been told it is tinnitis but that is hard to explain with total deafness on that side. I recently started playing music through the night because it drives me nuts. It also gets better/worse with the barromertric pressure change. I have run into several things that the docs aren't familiar with then I get on here and am amazed.
Mari
Mari

luckylady

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2007, 05:38:55 am »
Greetings -
I am 4 weeks post surgery (middle fossa approach) --I noticed the clicking noises second day in ICU-  Asked my nurses and physicians and husband if they could hear it all said no and could give no explaination -- Clicking for me has decreased - only had once this week.  If anyone know what this clicking noise is please inform.

Hang in there.

LuckyLady

OTO

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2007, 08:43:18 pm »
When I was two weeks or so post op, when I lay down to sleep, I could have sworn I had a metronome in my head...  tick tock tick tock.   It went away after about a week.   Since it went away I never called the doctor.