Hi there. Decisions are always trying. Stay positive !
A few things to add to the discussion:
1. I believe that tumors that are 2 cm tumors or greater are usually NOT treated by Proton Therapy, so the measurements of the Acoustic Neuroma (AN), also called Vestibular Schwannoma (VS), are important.
2. I have learned that it is important to have at least 2 MRI's of the brain that are spaced apart, to determine the rate of growth.
3. To understand whether you are a good candidate for PROTON PENCIL BEAM, (the newest proton technology) you should submit your MRI of the brain for a review by the team of Proton Therapy doctors, and respectfully request a review.
4. There have been patients who have had one session of Proton Therapy (I know of one or two), but we had read about the merits of fractionated Proton therapy, which basically means having many sessions spread over a number of days.. The merits of having fractionated proton therapy are discussed by a medical physicist in the following video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFKAFXDguFo
My husband had Proton therapy - 28 sessions on 28 separate days. He did have not one session.
5. Proton Therapy was completely covered by Aetna Insurance. There is a strong argument that Proton Pencil Beam Scanning and Proton Therapy is not expensive , and this is related to how it works. The medical physicist in the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFKAFXDguFo
does a much better job describing how it works, but basically ->Proton radiation therapy is unique, because more than any other type of radiation, protons allow radiation to be directed to a very limited area, which reduces potential damage to nearby healthy tissues. The lack of medical care after the procedure = reduction in expenses. The cost of lodging in a distant city was offset by us because he worked full time each day from a virtual office and simply used what would have been a lunch hour to get his Proton Treatment, and he would work a little later each evening. He had no brain fog, no fatigue, no issues. He worked out at the gym almost every day too.
6. My husband is willing to talk to you about his experience, however he works full time and so I need to schedule when the conversations happen. Please send a private message to schedule a conversation.
Whatever you decide, best wishes for you!