Author Topic: One ear tinnitus in an 18 year old, does this sound like an acoustic neuroma?  (Read 2330 times)

sagewood800

Hi. I am an 18 year old girl who got tinnitus beginning in early January. I had had a lung infection, plus two sinus infections from November-January. My bronchitis involved some full ears but nothing much else. Then one night in January with the second cold which wasn't even that bad I heard light rattling/ringing in my right ear only. Sinus infection went away--it didn't. Went to an ENT who didn't give me an MRI even though it was one ear because she claimed I have perfect hearing after the audiologist tested me (although I thought my right looked a tiny bit lower on the chart-but I can't really read the graph). She told me it was going to be something I get used to but gave me NO explanation as why I have it. I was sick a lot but that seems more like a coincidence. Anyways I have anxiety issues but that was reassuring to hear. So for a month it was stable. Well late March it suddenly got worse. One night I was anxious about it pulsing (it did once but not again really) so I decided to listen to it more and it suddenly over the next week sounds like SCREAMING in my right ear in quiet rooms. Everytime I sit in a quiet room it is a deafening ring.If I pop my ears it will change. I can hear it over the fan I use sometimes. IF i didn't use the fan it is sooo loud now that I'll have a panic attack. My mom won't take me back to the ENT. But I have read that people with acoustic neuroma often have similar symptoms to mine and they involve one ear ringing. I just wanted an MRI to be safe but I can't get one. Should I be worried about this and go back? I am not sure if any of you would have advice but please tell me if you do have a similar story or situation because this is keeping me up all night.

dwilliams35

Cool your jets there:  there’s a LOT stuff that can cause tinnitus.    You’ve got a LOT of other possibilities here without just jumping to that kind of conclusion.  Sounds to me like congestion in the ear canal.
Diagnosed 2-2017,  GK 10-2017.

rupert

One thing about tinnitus, the more you think about it,  concentrate on it or have anxiety about it the worse it will get.  I know you might not think it's possible but,  you have to completely not think about it.  At all.  Blank it right out of your mind.  Put your mind somewhere else but never on the tinnitus. Easier said than done I know first hand but,  it could work for you.  It could take a while but hopefully this can make things better.  Your ENT didn't give you an explanation because there really is no explanation.  Sometimes it's associated with hearing loss but many people get it for no particular reason.  I think it's more related to your recent health issues than you think. Keep your mind on other things and you have a very good chance it will just go away.  Do you have an acoustic neuroma, probably not.  They are somewhat rare and at your age rarer yet.  There have been cases at younger ages so there is a chance but, usual symptoms would include balance issues and hearing loss. I don't see those issues in your post.  Getting an MRI will be a personal decision that you and your family would have to make.  Anyway I hope this wasn't too much rambling. Good luck to you.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Tinnitus isn't necessarily a symptom of an AN - plus tinnitus is literally all in your head.  It's a mind thing; not a tumor thing.

Yes, people with ANs may have tinnitus but lots of people without ANs have tinnitus.

I had an AN (3+ cms) but have never had tinnitus.

The only way to definitively diagnose an AN is to have an MRI - with and without contrast.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways