Author Topic: No typical symptoms but have AN in one ear, now i cant function without steriods  (Read 8865 times)

crystallady

I have been recent diagnosed with AN in my right ear.  and all of a sudden, couple of days later, i cant function. I was mildly ill before with "allergie symptoms" but they weren't allergies.  It was because of the AN.  Now I am extremely tired, and cant do anything.  My doctor put me on steriods to help with the swelling in my head.  Without it, I bed ridden.  I feel like i have the flu.  Has anyone felt like this with AN?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 06:09:39 pm by crystallady »

tony

Sorry to hear of your troubles
Its unlikely an AN growth will change things that much in just 72 hrs
- it can take a full year to grow 2mm in size
(larger ones on this list are 5-10 yrs old)
The steriods may help any local swelling/compression - that was already
happening.
Its more likely that the shock/reaction/terror ? of the diagnosis
(part of your inner mind thinks it might be curtains
- the term "brain tumour" itself is quite frightening)
When I first saw my MRI result - a small voice in the back of my said
"please come in number 32 - your time is up...."
I  dont think I really heard much of what the doc said
So the steriods maybe helping any anxiety you may have
In fact in a way its good news - you do have an answer now,
and a treatment plan can be worked out
I am sure others on this list will be happy to share
treatment options and outcomes etc
best regards
tony

nancyann

• carpe diem
Hi there -  the only symptoms I had was decreased hearing and tinnitus, other than that, I was good to go.   

Wishing you all the best, Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Obita

Hi Crystallady:

I did have very bad motion sickness for 5 days before I was diagnosed.  Dramamine helped that.  I thought I had the worst flu of my life.

Did they tell you how big your AN is?  Usually, the bigger they get, the more problems they cause.

Good luck,  Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

opalon

Hi Crystallady:

I did have very bad motion sickness for 5 days before I was diagnosed.  Dramamine helped that.  I thought I had the worst flu of my life.

Did they tell you how big your AN is?  Usually, the bigger they get, the more problems they cause.

Good luck,  Kathy
i agree , they aren't symptoms of AN but  only  anxiety for recent diagnosis( excuse my english , i 'm an italian general practioner with a new diagnosis of AN in my left ear :(
GENERAL PRACTITIONER

crystallady

No typical symptoms but have AN in one ear, doctor questions
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2006, 03:31:02 pm »
thanks for all your comments. It helps that I can some one to talk to about this that knows what I am dealing with.   :)
It could the be the "brain tumor" that has set me back like this.. i was also told i had meningioma, its 3cm in the top middle of my head, and benign thank God.  They said I might have had this one for a long time.  It's also a slow grower.  Their concern is more with the AN in my right ear.. I have been its small but no measurement as of yet.  I have my first doctors appointment with the neurosurgeon.  Can anyone tell me what I should ask the doctor on Monday?  I have a few questions but dont want to miss some important ones. 

Please help with questions.

thank you

Cindy

crystallady

my AN is 13 mm * 8.6 mm.  I am finally getting appointments with a neursurgeon and an oncologist for the radiation if thats the way I go.  I am looking into another method of treatment here where I live.  Novalis Shaped Beam Surgery.  They have been using this new technology here for about 15 years.  Dont know alot about it but seems impressive so far.  The treatment for my ear would be a one shot deal.  I like that. 

Dealy

Well_all I have to say is an AN can give you some nasty symptoms etc. I would use caution though how long they keep you on Steroids. I have had-well at least I was diagnosed-probably had my AN 10 years or longer-anyway I have been on Steroids 4 times after FSR radiation that I completed on JUly 10th of this year. They put me on a six pack of medrol each time. Now this is not as powerful as Decradron-but it can mess you up. All I say is watch your dosage. Doctor's keep on telling me all my side effects are not from Steroid use-however even my Neuro says we do not want to put you on unless we have too. In my case it elevates my blood sugar and I am  not even a diabetic-but I get symptoms associated with being a diabetic. So I limit my sugar while I am on Steroids. Hope this helps some. Just telling you things from my perspective. Ron

crystallady

I am off all steroids!  Went off gradually.  Found a home remedy that seems to work so far.  Coke and advil!  Caffiene to shrink vessels, coke to settle stomach and advil for pain. :) Still have mild dizziness, mild headaches but.. so far so good!

Dealy

Boy-Crystallady-I am sorry to burst your bubble-but if you read an earlier post on the forum-cannot remember where it is-too much Advil can be just as bad. Could lead I believe to a stomach ulcer. Besides coke is nothing but caffiene and sugar. I guess do what your heart desires-but I would limit both of these home remedies. My doctor in KC and my ENT both told me that caffiene leads to tinnunitus. That is why I avoid any coke product. Not trying to tell you what to do-just some friendly advice. Thanks Ron

Windsong

simply hearing that one has a tumour in one's head can cause all manner of changes i would think in the brain....
think back to the week before your diagnosis (an idea that now came to me) and maybe balance the symptoms out... then again if something is grabbing your notice let your doctor know....
W.