Author Topic: My Journey  (Read 2783 times)

NicoleB

My Journey
« on: March 05, 2018, 09:58:46 am »
Hello,

I had my acoustic neuroma surgery September 21, 2017. I live in Georgia, but had my surgery in California, by House Clinic. My surgeon team was Dr.Slattery, Dr.Schwartz, Dr.Stefan, and surgery counselor-Olivine Stigall. They are wonderful people! They were so humble, kind, knowledgeable, and truly care about you!  My vestibular schwannoma measured approximately 1.5cm transverse by 1.0cm AP by 0.9cm craniocaudal. I had the middle fossa approach.

My whole journey with something that I thought was very scary, ended up being a learning experience and a major Blessing. Jesus was with me every step of the way. I'll never forget my time with Jesus through this whole experience. He is always with us.  I wouldn't of made it through without His love, care, and major guidance/wisdom! I wouldn't of even of gone to House Clinic if it wasn't for the Lord caring for me. I only found Jesus 3 and a half to four years ago, and have had this awesome relationship with Him ever sense!   Here is my Caringbridge of everything I went through/my acoustic neuroma journey:
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/nicolebrooks2

I did lose my hearing on the surgery side. It's amazing how the opposite side of the brain will compensate.
If I got through this, you definitely will get through this.:)) I hope what I went through can help you.

Sincerely,

Nicole Brooks

notaclone13

Re: My Journey
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 04:19:29 pm »
Thanks for your encouraging post Nicole. So many that come this forum have just been diagnosed and are very apprehensive about the future. Seeing a post such as yours is very reassuring. Your comforting words are greatly appreciated.

v357139

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 08:26:05 pm »
Contratulations Nicole.  I also had Slattery and Schwartz, and also had an excellent result.  Always good to see a good story on the forum.  Best Regards,
Rich
Dx 2.6 cm Nov 2012, 35% hearing loss.  Grew to 3.5 cm Oct 2013.  Pre-op total hearing loss, left side tongue numb.  Translab Nov 2013 House Clinic.  Post-op no permanent facial or other issues.  Tongue much improved.  Great result!!

rmkelly

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 08:21:07 am »
Thank you for sharing.  Can you tell me how you selected your surgeon and why you went to CA.  Did you not feel confident with Duke or a DR in NYC?  Just curious as I am in the process of selecting a surgeon.

ColleenS

• I have learned to watch birds and smell the roses.
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 09:15:00 am »
So glad for you Nicole. I feel the same as you in many ways - the experience taught me a lot. How to lean on friends and family, a closer walk spiritually and what is actually important in life.
5/2/17 @ Vanderbilt Translab approach with Drs. Haynes & Chambless
Readmitted on 5/7/17 for CFL, lumbar drain; CFL repair surgery
10/18 5 Radiation treatments for tumor regrowth
3/19 Pain, swelling, facial paralysis
5/19 Facial paralysis, numbness
10/21 Mild facial paralysis still